slightly OT... but anyway: DIN-SYNC

creekree

hi all,

i have a question, and it should be fairly simple to answer.

here is the plan: i have a beautiful roland tr 606 which has a dync-socket (no midi). i want to sync it to a gameboy advance (no kidding, ever heard of nanoloop?)

now, basically i´ve done this before with a gameboy classic, but the gba expects 3V at the linkport instead of 5v......

so, the only thing i need to know is: how to reduce a voltage of 5v down to 3v?

which parts do i have to use? i dont know so much about voltage regulators, but since most people on this forum are quite tech-savvy i thought i´d just ask....

thank you all, creekree

hi all,

i have a question, and it should be fairly simple to answer.

here is the plan: i have a beautiful roland tr 606 which has a dync-socket (no midi). i want to sync it to a gameboy advance (no kidding, ever heard of nanoloop?)

now, basically i´ve done this before with a gameboy classic, but the gba expects 3V at the linkport instead of 5v......

so, the only thing i need to know is: how to reduce a voltage of 5v down to 3v?

which parts do i have to use? i dont know so much about voltage regulators, but since most people on this forum are quite tech-savvy i thought i´d just ask....

thank you all, creekree

Hi creekree,

The dinsync output of TR606 is about 8V peak to peak, not 5V. To reduce this down the easist way to do it is to use two resistors as a potential divider, the only problem with that is that it has limited drive current, but if thats a problem a single rail op amp (CA3140 or similar) could be used afterwards as a voltage follower. The 606 din sync has  fairly hefty buffereing, so I think you'd be fine with just simple 2 resistor potential divider. Try 1k8 and 1k resistors, these will give about 2.8V, or 1k8 and 1K2 will give 3.2 volts. This assumes you have nothing else connected to Dinsync, if you have then you'd need to use much higher values and  voltage follower opamp.

Allan

hi,

thanks for the answer, modularman!

i will give it a go.

DrBunsen: go to the forum of nanoloop.de. i documented the modification there. just dont use the part where i explain to "sync-i-fy" the SGB. everything else is quite straight-forward. i posted it like 2 or 2 1/2 years ago, so you will have to look for my post somewhere at the beginning of the forums history..

cheers, creekree