Midibox Interfacing with flash.

Hi,

I don't really know where to place this question, so please feel free to put this the question into the appropriate thread.

I'm a graphic designer and planning to do some stuff with real world intereactions with my com and have visual feedback. And the only thing i know software side is macromedia flash (i know this isn't the best software, but its the only one i know a bit of programming). So i've don't some reading and found out that the only way flash can connect to the 'outside' world is through its XML socket. I came across a prog made by someone that helps connect flash to the serial port. http://people.interaction-ivrea.it/h.barragan/flashserialinterface.html

Now i'm trying to figure is if does the midibox signals get captured by it? And what kind of signals it captures.

I like to work with the midibox as i think its a very well supported platform thanks to you guys, its very scalable and finally i got a actual working one in my hands (was trying to build a midi controller for Resolume, but kinda gave up)

I know the midibox sends midi signals through the serial port and the Keys/notes are configurable by editing a file which you then compile onto the PIC chip. I'm wondering is it possible to easily set it to sent out other signals through the serial port which i then program my flash side to recognise them?

Would love all the help i can get.

Cheers :)

*added

Just hooked up my midibox after a year of not touching it... MidiOX shows its working when i power it up with this "SYSX: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

"

But my buttons is not responding. (i forgot if i need to do something else) sorry....

Also the prog i using to interface to flash says this "The microcontroller serial port settings should be 19200 Bauds, N, 8, 1."

And when i tested the prog, nothing happens when i put the power on. Shouldn't the flash be showing the "F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7" if its working?

Does this mean its not?

Cheers

there are objects for pure data which allow communication with flash..

http://www.csorg.org/teaching/installation/tutorials/pd_flashserver.html

pd accepts midi input so could possibly be used to mediate between the two, i think it's easier to use the midi port with your midibox if you have it hooked up like that, i couldn't tell from your post...

Hi,

Just tried it out. It seems pretty simple...  But i don't really understand MAX out. I've tried reading up but need some help here.

airmailed  do you know MAX?

Now i got info coming in from my midibox,  the Pitch, Velocity and Channel. There are all numbers in speperate 'boxes'

I need MAX to print out a line, 'broadcast pitch velocity channel'

But i don't seem to be able to get them to join together.

I know in flash i would do is  var=var1+var2+var3+var4;

But still have yet to visualise how it works in MAX.

So anyone with MAX experience pls help.

Cheers

i've hardly used max but i've used pd a bit,

in pd one object to do that is "pack", this combines several atoms into one message, pack can combine numbers and phrases, text etc. if you are using pd you can press the right mouse button when over any object and select "help" from the menu to see the help file for that object, it's also possible to unlock (max) or edit (pd) a help patch and copy the pieces you need for your own patch.

if you are using max you can try the tutorial pdf which can be downloaded from cycling74.com this is also quite good for learning the basics of pd, the main difference when making patches is that in pd the name must be typed into the box, in max it's also possible to choose objects from a list, i think going through the tutorial will get you quite far towards understanding how to do what you want

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -

New here as of today. I have not read enough yet to really know much about the midibox world. But i do know MAX.

So if you want to put several itmes into a list in MAX use the object "pack" or you can look at the "zl" help file for tons of zl objects. "unpack" does what you'd think - it takes a list and outputs to seperate values.

I plan on building a basic midibox for my sid chip (i still have my old c=64) with MIDI jacks and no controllers or screens. And then to build a controller in MAX, because I build my entire live rig with homemade midi controllers that go thru MAX anyway. I'll be back soon with tons of questions :)