What is the best combination to create a MIDIbox SID ?

dcreatorx

More SIDs means that a greater number of different sounds can be played simultaneously. But in practice, the MBSID engine is so powerful and versatile, that you have a very broad range of sonic possibilties by using even just one SID. I'd say that one SID with the full control surface will get you a lot further into the SID realm than four SIDs with minimal control surface, as the exploring and and fine tuning the sounds is so much more fun and easy with a decent set of knobs at your hands.  ;)

About the different chips - the 8580 and 6581 do sound very different, and even the 6581's have much variation between them (the 8580's seem to be more similar to each other). So you really have to HEAR the different chips to know what YOU prefer. I started my box intending to build a 1x8580 / 1x6581, then ended up building it a 2x8580 but just some days ago I switched back to the original configuration with a 1x8580 / 1x6581 configuration which I think I'll settle with. Do a search - there is a thread on this forum where people excange their opinions on the different SIDs - but you can't really know how the chips compare by verbal definitions only. You have to hear them side-by-side  yourself (by the way, comparing SID chips is a big part of the fun)!  ;D