SID hum /power

mesak

yo! i'm proceeding nicely with the SID - can't wait to get it up and running for real!  :P

i made a power pcb for the unit (see the pics - it includes bankstick as you can see...) but when i put the synth on i got quite loud ground hum there too . is it possible that i screwed up the power connections somehow (it looks more messy than it is really) or can it be because i didn't make the optimized PSU but the basic one? i'm using original c64 power and tested the thing with two separate PSU's with same results so that should be fine. also, i have done the bypass caps on the sid & core.

i'm not sure how to get rid of the hum... :(

cheers

sidpowa1.jpg

sidpowa2.jpg

sidpowa3.jpg

it helps cause you are shorting what is usually an open jack. Most guitar amps for example will short the inputs when they are not used - thats why they crackle so loud when you are inserting the jack with the amp on and volume up. However, it may also be a faulty sid - I had a similar problem where the solution was a different sid with a fully functional filter. The filter was creating some nasty noise apparantly. You are not going to damage anything by shorting the audio in, and changing sids around and playing with a few configs until it sounds quieter.

i have done the shorting. it helps a bit but the "main hum" remains wheter the ground is connected or not. also my friend is building his own sidbox at the same time and i tested my system with his SID-module - the hum is the same. so it means my sid is ok (or both sids are damaged...?)

cheers

ps. also there's a power led included in the power pcb - now when the sid and the core are also connected the led seems to flicker to the hum frequency - i think it didn't when i first tried the power with only the led connected to it. removing the led however doesn't affect the humming...

ok, i will try some different configs. but is it so that you will get some serious hum anyway (ofcourse if you really crank it up you get lots of noise from everything)?

i'm using the original c64 pwer supply...

i just got the lcd working ok!!    :D  :D

personally, I can not stand that original C64 PSU - but use what you got. If TK recommends it, then its  gonna be good - however, if it dies on you, replacing that internal fuse is a hellish process. I think its better to use either a dual supply, or run the modules off a single AC supply. Or breadboard something suitable. The Sid itself is gonna make some noise no matter what you do - but minimizing ground noise is essential. I still need to figure out a solution for my single 9VAC supply for both modules, and a star ground point that makes sense.