Is it possible to fry a crystal when soldering?

tarzan boy

Hello,

I started on my 1st core soldering last night; I spent a few hours soldering stuff on and off an old fax machine board first to get the feel of my new soldering iron. Today after finishing the resistors I tried to solder on the crystal but had a lot of difficulty doing it (I'm using the TK designed board where the crystal is soldered to the back.)

I had to remove and resolder the crystal 3 times because of bad connections and solder spills that shorted another etching nearby.

Now, after cleaning and meter testing, all the connections seem to be isolated but I'm a little scared that my crystal has been fried by the combined 15-20 seconds of 350-400C I put on the leads only a few millimeters from the outer body of the crystal.

I have no tools to measure (I've just searched old topics and found that you can measure the crystal with an ocilliscope) so I would like to know if it is possible to fry the thing or has anyone had an experience of it frying?

thanks