Midibox Plus and LCD

siriwan

Hi folks,

I almost successfully built my first midibox 16 plus but could not get the LCD working yet.

All the midi-out stuff is working fine (aproved in Midi-OX and Fruity Loops) but the display does not

work the way is should.

When i plug in the power supply, the background light goes on, but no menu/text or what so ever appears.

Strange enough, I get at least some result when pluging/unpluging the power supply rapidly. I also checked

the brightness/contrast , but that's not the problem.

To clarify the situation, I attached 3 pics to this post ...

The following result is the best I could get by now... there is constant flickering / random characters in the first line to the left.

090106223637_Display01.jpg

This is also one possible result ....

090106224052_Display02.jpg

This is the backside of the LCD module. Maybe someone does recognise something that could help ? All I know is that the manufacturer is Batron ...

090106224250_Display03.jpg

hopefully someone has a hint for me ?

So long,

Martin

Martin,

I guess you've already double checked all the actual wire/solder connections? Also, make sure the 1-14 pinning on that display corresponds with the standards (like in Thorsten's docs). If it has a dual row 16 pin header or whatever, make sure it's laid out in the correct order for the core's pins. Mine never were, so I had to wire custom ribbons. I'm guessing pins 1-14 for 44780's normally correspond with the same chip destinations, regardless of the pin layout.(?)

I think the row of black lines is usually from the display not getting all the data signals, if it's already been loaded with MIOS. The intermittent thing you describe sounds like an actual glitch in the core wiring or parts rather than the display, but I could be wrong. I had that "rapidly plug it in to get different results" thing a while back.

Also, when I've failed to make all the required pull ups/downs and left stuff floating, the display flickers so bad that you can't tell that it's just jumping from parameter to parameter or changing values. It almost looks like an LCD problem.

Good luck with it!

George