Now what's this all about?

Goblin

Hi everybody!

It might sound funny, but I just want to know what an SID-Midibox is and how it works. I found the SID-Box on the internet because I was kinda interested in making music with the C64, coz I love the old game themes. I also tried the "Soundmonitor" by Chris Huelsbeck. Guess you know about that program. It's not very user-friendly. So I thought I could use the SID-Chip directly by surrounding it with a little electronics and providing data from a PC. PICS and other controllers are not unknown to me. Whatever, I found this website and I'd like to know if a SID-Midibox is what I want. :)

Hi there,

Well if you like the sound of the c64 you would like the midibox sid.  It's built around the sound chip (SID) from the c64.

However it's  a project to build a midi controllable synthesizer.  If you have intrest in music making or midi, then it's great!

Typically to use the midibox sid, a sequencer is used, either on a computer or hardware, to send midi data (notes and controller data)

and the output of the synth is fed into a mixer or recorded into a computer for futher editing.

Long story short, this project destroys a c64 in it's "use".  Hope that answers your question.

-dave

so all the sidbox does is transforming input-midi-data into sound? so i can compuse a 3-track midi-file and play it on the sid-box? what about the output? cinch? or anything special? which midi-progs should i use? i have cubase here but never used for midi. or should i use special software for the sid-box? if i used hardware, i'd use a keyboard, right?

Probably the best thing is to read the full MIDIbox-SID description at http://www.ucapps.de.  Especially understand the three different ways you can build it.

Step A is just a simple box containing the SIDs - all control for voice editing as well as playing notes is done over MIDI.  The choice of software or hardware to control it is up to you, but there are (I think) Logic environments and Cubase mixer maps already created, as well as a Java program. 

If you are familiar with software synthesisers, VSTs, etc, this is like running a VST, except the control data (MIDI) goes outside your computer to the SID, and the SID makes the sound. 

You could also control it with a MIDI fader/knob box like a UC-16 or the knobs on a MIDI keyboard, but not all the parameters - there are too many!

Step B adds a display, one knob and some buttons for menu driven voice editing

Step C is a full synth front panel with loads of knobs, buttons, LEDs etc, like a Virus rack or other analog/virtual analog synth, for realtime live voice changing as you play.  This gives you access to all the parameters of the MIDIbox SID, which is far more capable than the SID was stuck inside a C64!

In any case, you can play notes to the SID from either a keyboard or a sequencer, the choice is yours.