My modular vision

jerash

Hello,

here's a work in progress to demonstrate how i want to implement my modular midibox :

http://perso.club-internet.fr/raphael.mouneyres/Chamie/Modulo_anim1.gif (900k animated GIF)

i'm facing two big challenges :

- the type of connectors to use

- each "slot" must accept either button, encoders or leds...

i have some ideas but neither one is fully acceptable.

i'd like to share my work with someone.

RAF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flownezz

Great Idea! -  You could have a connector matrix, so you could use the same socket for all the  modules, you would just need to configure a the port first (multi pole/multithrow switch maybe?)  all you would need is a common backplane ...

Great Idea! -  You could have a connector matrix, so you could use the same socket for all the  modules, you would just need to configure a the port first (multi pole/multithrow switch maybe?)  all you would need is a common backplane ...

hi ! you've got it right, i need a backplane connection matrix.

I've already designed several ones with different type of connectors (most of them have never existed though  ;) and that's the first chellenge).

Second challenge is the matrix wich contains more connections than really nedded so it would probably require some more electronics to switch the inputs.

And finally, this backplane must be compatible with each type of data (Analog for Pots, Digital IN for buttons, and Digital OUT for Leds). It has a big effect on the backplane design so the little "modules" can be connected horizontally OR verticaly without worrying on Where and How to place it  ;D

As i'm still considering my actual midibox as a protoype n°01, i'll probably have some wires coming out of the modules, with an RJ45 connector (known from networks & Telecom world) on the other side. The backplane would be a simple row of female RJ45 connectors.

With 8 wires on each connector i can handle all data types :

Pin1. Vss

Pin2. Vdd

Pin3. Analog 1

Pin4. Analog 1

Pin5.Digital IN 1

Pin6.Digital IN 2

Pin7.Digital OUT 1

Pin8.Digital OUT 2

So One module would have a maximum of 2 pots or faders, or for example 2 buttons and 2 leds.

You get the idea ?

It's a kind of headache sometimes, but it's worth !

Thanks Thorsten for all this good brain-action  :D

RAF

Guest valkr1e

hmm, it really depends upon space requirements and how you plan on doing things.

if you created a standard pinout for all modules(like dout1 is on pin one of every module, din1 is on pin 2, etc) it should be easy.

the problem i'm seeing that that there's a couple good ways to do this, one is using an edgecard connection like pci, however that means you have have each module oriented the same way.

you can use smaller connectors like hddb50 but those would be incredibly hard to solder and be extremely fragile.

i think the best solution would be using something like a 2mm pin grid connector, like digikey partpprn064rccn (24 pins in a 10mmx12mm array on page 53 of my catalog)when using something like this you could create an array of these connectors in rows and columns on a backplane, and space them such that you can create horizontal and vertical modules. they are still somewhat fragile, but no more so than an IDE cable. the pins are thick enough that you can usually bend them back, the only problem that i see with this is the soldering of all those connectors, a manufactured PCB would be nice, because then you wouldnt have to worry about making sure what you think is pin 14 is really pin 14, etc