A MIDI routing question

fluke

I want to build a MidiBox FM and use a PalmPilot (specifically my TRGpro (http://handera.com/Products/TRGpro.aspx)) as the control surface.  I also want to be able to plug a keyboard in to control the MidiBox FM and have the PalmPilot recieve the data from the keyboard as well for use as a sequencer.  To top it off, i'd like to include my Yamaha DB50XG (a WaveBlaster card addon to the SoundBlaster 16) in there as well.

layout1.png

I know i'll need 2 MidiMerger units, how i separate the data going to the MidiBox FM and the Yamaha DB50XG?  Both would be listening on all 16 midi channels wouldn't they?  Do i need to build some sort of reverse MidiMerger that buffers the midi messages and sends channels 1-10 to the Yamaha DB50XG only and 11-16 to the MidiBox FM?  Or are there some standard SysEx commands to tell a device to ignore certain channels?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, i'm just starting out with midi devices.

I couldn't do that because i need a bi-directional connection between the PalmPilot and the MidiBox FM.

I think i've figured out a simple way to do it.  If it split the output of MidiMerger 1 into two AND gates, i can use two output pins on the PIC to turn the signal on and off to each device based on which channel the message is going to.  Which means i just have to add one 74HC00 chip to the circuit.

I couldn't do that because i need a bi-directional connection between the PalmPilot and the MidiBox FM.

Keyboard ----> Palm ----> MBFM ----> DB50XG

^                                                |

|                                                |

\-------------------------------------------------/

?

Have you seen the MIDI Technical Fanatics Brainwashing Centre? You should! :)