Shift Register Substitutes?

Jidis

Hi,

I was wondering for a while if anyone knew right off of any acceptable common alternatives to the 165/595? I see lots of common shift reg. chips on old crap (sometimes even socketed), but didn't know if they were all 100% unique. I see some of the same basic descriptions (8-bit parallel out,etc.) on a bunch of them, but how much else is involved?

Also, an eBay guy's got a good deal on 165's right now ($50 for 372), but they're HCT's (TTL?).

I'd go ahead and get them, but then I'd have to order the other 28 chips for my hundred D.In boards from DigiKey and pay shipping to two different dealers. ;D

(actually I think he also does best offers on other quantities too)

Thanks!

George

Wilba,

That was quick! :)

Thanks for the tip. I've heard that name, but never ordered or fished around there. Looks like they may have chips for a little bit less than DigiKey, but I'm not sure I'll be needing enough to make it worth the difference.

Main reason I was asking is that I run across things where they needed a whole bunch of SR's or often even pairs of them and mux chips. I ripped up an old JLCooper fader unit a while ago, which has 20 faders, 20 buttons, and 40 lights. The inside looked like a bunch of MBHP boards. IIRC, it used 4051's, but the shift chips were something else (74HC164's or 138/139's ??). They were all neatly socketed and left with no argument. ;D

-George