One really quick parallel driver question...

Jidis

Probably my 700th time for bringing this subject up, (sorry :-[)

I was about to reply to a MOTU-related thread elsewhere, which may involve their notorious 2K/XP driver offerings for their parallel products. 

In some web/usenet reading, I've seen similar mentions as this:

Windows NT' date=' w2k and XP doesn't allow the direct access to the parallel port.

If anyone who has written COM or parallel port drivers for 2K or XP, or who has a decent understanding of them, should read this:

* Were there any serious changes to those system's handling of that port, which might have made it impossible to continue to use it reliably for our (serial MIDI) purposes, or is it simply a matter of a poorly written driver?

While the MOTU parallels are obviously quite common and abundant, most others back then were relatively small, and many of the developers are no longer active for any comparisons. I know we're all still using the ports for all sorts of other peripherals, but has the driver access changed as far as time critical  or reliable, solid connections are concerned?

Much Thanks!

George

* Were there any serious changes to those system's handling of that port, which might have made it impossible to continue to use it reliably for our (serial MIDI) purposes, or is it simply a matter of a poorly written driver?

Short answer, no.

Check it: http://www.lvr.com/parport.htm  ... Scroll down to "programming"

In a nutshell, it only works in Kernel mode. No big woop. There's even an open source driver there from http://www.logix4u.net/

Thanks Stryd_One!

Windows 2000/Xp add improved drivers for accessing parallel-port devices with support for SPP' date=' PS/2 (Byte), EPP, and ECP modes and daisy-chaining.[/quote']

Sort of makes me wish I hadn't asked. So it's not only possible, but sounds almost more  efficient and flexible for multiple app's port access, and multiple "p.port connected" hardware?

It did sound sort of like pre-2K configs would be the one's more likely to have apps stealing the port away from each other, and that the app's connection to it was better protected in 2K/XP. MOTU's mess seems more like the other way around. Like something's grabbing the port out from under their 2K/XP driver, even though nothing that I know of could be using it for anything. I guess there's no chance of any Windows settings, which could completely block the port to anything beyond the MOTU driver, letting it appear to be "unavailable"?

Thanks Again,

George 

Thanks Stryd_One!

When I reply to that other post, I'll suggest a few things you should do with your Windows setup... I had trouble with mine at first, but I altered a few settings and eventually nailed it. Hopefully they'll work for you too.

I altered a few settings and eventually nailed it.

I hope that's "nailed", like nailed through it with an 8" galvanized spike, so it couldn't ever screw up again. ;D

I've heard several mentions of people who got it to work, but they've noted that "every once in a while", it simply won't cooperate, no matter what. Sort of frightening prospect, having all your MIDI devices suddenly launch a "labor strike" on you for no reason. ;)

George