Using a Dout on Core1 to drive a Din on Core 2

robinfawell

Although this topic concerns my organ project it seems to have a general nature and I have addressed it to the Design Concepts section.

I have 2 independent cores both programmed in C and both sending Midi messages to a Sound Module.

Due to my need for Memorised Setup which is programmed in Core 1, I would like to control one Din on core 2.  I propose to use a push button and its related Din / Dout on Core 1. The Dout will have 2 functions; to drive an LED on the console and to connect to a DIN on Core 2.

Effectively this is the equivalent of a Push button on Core 2.

I cannot see any reason why this should not work, providing the correct hardware and software polarities are observed.

I realise that an opto_coupler could be used but is it really necessary?

I would welcome any comments.

Regards Robin

Hi.

Your proposed way is a brute-force one, but I can't see anything wrong with it. I assume You'll have core powered from same source (common ground is the key) and button push will toggle DOUT. (I'm assuming DOUTs fanout isn't exceed, so it can drive led and one DIN input both)

And You don't need an optocoupler here.

[babble]

This isn't of course an universal core interconnection model 'cause the mode is asynchronous and DOUT and DIN aren't working from the same clock

[/babble]

Moebius

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Re the Midi suggestion, at present there is no midi connection between the 2 cores . The Roland Sound module provides a merge function.  If it works, the "electrical" solution is the simplest.

I will report back on the outcome.

Regards Robin