SID filter question

tel3

I have recently tested 2 different 6581 SIDs, one '83 and one an '84 run. I have heard alot about issues with the filters not working and am wanting to make sure the conclusion that I'm coming to about my SIDs filters not working right is correct.

When I tested them I used just the basic, almost minimal requirements, Core w/LCD and SID modules. I connected them to my PC and opened MIOS Studio. I then assigned one of MIOS Studio's on-screen CC knobs to #47 as per the MIDIbox SID controller data.txt document. Next I tweaked the newly assigned controller after "latching" an on-screen key and listened for the changing cutoff frequency......Nothing changed!

So my question is, does anything else need to be done first before being able to hear the cutoff changing? Is the default setting of the filter channels for each voice set to on or off?

I did then assign another controller knob to CC#44 and carefully attempted to turn on and off the filter channels for each voice, then again tweaked the cutoff freq knob with no success.

Does that sound about right to anyone? Do I have 2 SIDs with bad filters? I've only kinda recently started to get sound out of them so I'm not totally sure how they really should be behaving to begin with.

Thanks, tel3

Hey Tel3, you need to choose a patch that has the filter assigned to at least one of the oscillators. If you look in  the upper right corner of the JSynth editor, you need a check box in one of the "O1","O2","O3" controls. I would edit the patch with JSynth instead of MIOS Studio, to ensure that you have indeed enabled the filter.

Justin

I've never used JSynth before. I'll Have to give that a try as soon as I get my fried Core back up and working again after my little shorting incident. :) I also didn't have a bankstick connected at the time either, so I wasn't testing with actual patches. I'll have to hook one of those up too. Thanks!

-tel3