Jog Wheels

RTurner

I've been looking high and low for these.  Let's suppose for a moment that I can't cannibalize one out of a VCR, and that I have to buy it new.  It's as if no one makes them.  I've considered trying to make one myself...  I have a friend with a metal lathe, and I think, with some clever workmanship I could make a pretty cool aluminum jog wheel, with outer ring, out of 3 pieces of turned aluminum, a laser cut piece of plexiglas, a couple ball-bearing joints, a giant nut, some carefully placed epoxy, a couple rubber bands, rotary encoder, and a couple tact switches...  But there HAS to be an easier way. 

I mean, seriously, the approach above would

A) take several hours to cut

B) require me to purchase a couple un-godly sized pieces of round aluminum stock (which would cost me about $75, but could provide enough jog wheels from here to eternity)

C) require me to send off yet another thing to be laser cut.

D) use special epoxies to bond aluminum to steel

E) find a rotary encoder with an obnoxious shaft length

It'd cost me about $100 for the first jog wheel!  On the other hand, the second would cost closer to $15 or $20

etc...

I'm thinking that jog wheels have a technical name that they'd be sold under.  So....  Does anyone know a source for these?  Does anyone know what they're actually called?  or, if not, does anyone want to buy some really cool hand-made aluminum jog wheels for cost + labor and shipping?