NI reaktor and Midi Box Seq

whitenoise

Hi all......

This is my first post here. Basicly I've been planning on creating a Seq machine for a while now in conjunction with a specific Reaktor program called Massive 1.1. I've been using the NI Kore controller for this instrument but it doesn't give the controls Im after and secondly it looks kinda silly. So I've started the long but fun process of reading every bit of information that these forums and MidiBox sites have to offer. Ive got alot of reading to do before I even attempt to start this project but I was actually wondering if anyone had used the seq with any Reaktor type instruments?

Anyways, Thanks for all the information you guys have already posted. The walkthroughs and documentation is superb. I figure in a month or so Ill be ready to order parts. Till then it's off to RePC to find funky controllers, knobs and switches.

Thanks all.

Evan.

Hi Evan,

welcome to the forum!

I'm a Reaktor user since R3. I don't use it so often (since I'm more busy with MIDIbox development than making music), but it's always big fun to play with it. E.g., for these arpeggiator examples: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_tutorial4.html I used the Junatik synth.  In the first (experimental) MBSEQ demo at my website I used a slightly modified Vierring filter. I replaced the integrated step sequencers by generic CC receivers, and controlled them from the MBSEQ.

I think, that a similar approach is possible with Massive Attack - I will try this out this evening (thanks for the inspiration!) I'm currently working on MBSEQ V3, and this is a nice check for all the mods I made today.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yeah, the latest release of R5 had an updated version of massive... Massive 1.1. This instrument is killer for live manipulation of a step sequencer. I'ts only a 6 track sequencer, which so far what I have read it is possible to do past four tracks varied off of your original design. Im hoping I could pull off 9 tracks which would include the modulation tracks in the massive software. Im not sure how I can get the hardware to actually controll the sequencer steps in the software but Im sure I can write a plugin that would allow for midi controll over the Table fields.

I cant wait to see how the Seq V3 software comes out.... Ill keep an eye on the changes.

Thanks Thorsten.

Evan.

I'm just doing the changes in Massive 1.1 for MIDI control over the sample modules. It isn't so easy like expected, because the voices are using some kind of multiplexing in order to transmit values and events over a single wire (Smpler Macro, G input). I found out how to control the gate and the "yellow" parameter (normaly assigned to velocity or pitch), but the pitch value is only taken when two pulses are sent over the "2trg" line. However, I will keep trying. There is at least the possibility to remove this multiplexing completely (but it's a "Massive" change ;-)

MBSEQ V3 will support a configuration, where for example two CCs and one note (gate) with variable length is sent from a single track - this is ideal for controlling the Massive sample modules (I see it now as one of the reference applications)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Found the solution: the trigger event controls some S&H modules, and they can be bypassed. So, it seems that 4 assignable parameters and the gate can be controlled via MIDI (I haven't tried this under realtime conditions yet), each sample module can be assigned to a seperate MIDI channel - nice toy!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Still works fine and makes fun - next target is to enhance the track length of MBSEQ to 32 steps, this can take some time, since a lot of code has to be changed... however, I've a new motivation to finish this soon ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.