changing PIC baudrate (higher!)

*jOi~

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to implement a usb connection for the MB project, and am using the FT232R. I've read the small amount of info people have posted about it, and all signs say that it is possible to make it run in this context. I should have the module up and running in the next week or so, but after looking at the chip and noticing it will match whatever baudrate it is fed, i was thinking about increasing it.

I've discussed this with a more senior designer and he thought it possible, as it isn't necessary to match either MIDI or serial baud as the PIC is connected directly to the FT232 chip with no necessity to change from the raw data.

I do however have little experience in the coding realm and was curious if someone could educate me as to how i can select my own baudrate for the bootloader and not just choose between MIDI or Serial. I will first attempt at serial rate (i already programmed my PICs at this rate), but will then try to increase to try and lower the latency.

Hopefully all will go to plan and I will be able to write up a new project for the MB community, as it still seems like a simpler USB module is needed. Hopefully this will solve the need for USB-MIDI interfaces for many people.

Let me know what you think, and for any help/suggestions

cheers

Trent

Hi Trent,

it's already possible to connect a FT232 without changing bootloader and firmware, just select the MIDIbox-to-COM interface (baudrate: 38400) in the PIC ID header (bit 8 ), the FT232 can handle this.

Much higher baudrates than 38400 are not recommented from my side, because this could lead to unexpected side effects in MIOS applications - a MIDI In buffer overflow could happen if data is received much faster than with normal baudrate.

However, if you just want to try faster baudrates regardless of this warning, then just use the search function of your operating system (Windows: search button within the explorer), and search for "baudrate"

Best Regards, Thorsten.