separating button press from led lighting (MIDIO128)

*jOi~

Hi everyone,

Got my midibox working with LEDs this evening, but after much scouring of the forum and ucapps, i havent been able to solve my issue.

FYI: using WinXP with MB->RS232(serial) module, and programming in Max/MSP

Problems:

1) whenever i press a button the corresponding LED lights up. granted this could be useful in some applications, but I would like to turn it off, and if i do want to activate it i will do that via software programming.

2) i have been unable to light the LEDs with noteout messages from Max, however before i turned off the softsynth i was getting chromatic piano notes (so max is sending data) - i think max may not be sending data to the PIC, even though I have selected the driver in preferences.

Other than these issues it's been working fantasticaly - and all the parts for my 8x16 button and led matrix are on the way - providing an awesome visual method of controlling ableton live...

Thanks for the help

Trent

Hi Trent,

1) there are different ways for disabling this "internal feedback". The easiest is the use of the mk_midio128_syx script, which creates a new configuration. So, just open the default midio128.ini file, search for these lines:

################################################################################
# Forward Input to Output
# If Enabled:  if an inputs gets an raising or falling edge, the appr. output
#              pin will be set to the same new logic level. The output pin
#              can be controlled via MIDI also
# If Disabled: an output pin can only controlled via MIDI
# Default: disabled
################################################################################
[FORWARD_INPUT_TO_OUTPUT]
  enabled
[/code] and set the switch to "disabled" An alternative way is to change this in the firmware, and to build a new .hex file. Changes have to be made in main.asm:
[code]
; Forward Input to Output
; If 0: if an inputs gets an raising or falling edge, the appr. output
;      pin will be set to the same new logic level. The output pin
;      can be controlled via MIDI also
; If 1: an output pin can only controlled via MIDI
#define DEFAULT_FORWARD_IO      1

2) are you able to control the LEDs by sending Note messages with another tool. E.g., with MIDI-Ox?

Great to hear, that the rest is working :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey Thorsten,

Thanks for the tip, and ironically i had just worked it out before i read the message. I'd love to get more into the firmware stuff though, because I'd love to start making some modifications, and eventually create a led/scan matrix which i understand there is no standard code for.

oh well, thanks the hel, and ill get back to it - how i love university holidays :D

Trent