Simple, Cheap, High Fidelity Modular Amplifier (15-64W(rms)) Based on TDA2050

Artesia

Heres an idea for an amplifier project which ,maybe a useful stand alone project (or module) for people here..

Built An amplifier based around the TDA2050 Amp IC as a junk box spares project; to serve as a rear-channel surround amplifier.. and was pleasantly supprised by very, very good sound quality for a £3 ic ! things have come a long way since the first time i played with these devices 10yrs back (i would now be quite comfortable using one of these devices, where i might of opted for a fully transistorised amp)

(more details to follow on the project)

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/1461.pdf

The TDA2050 is an integrated amplifer chip of a class AB configuration - Various overload & overheat protection options are built in as standard. A very low external component count is required to get it up and running.

It is capable of running on single & split rail supplies with a total voltage range from 5 to 50v. One ic by itself is capable of 0.05% distortion in the range of 15-20Wrms; total output capacity is 35wrms with a higher margin on distortion, 'music power' is 50w.

Also, two devices can be used in a push-pull configuration to attain a rms output of upto 64w.

it would be fairly easy to craft the circuit to drive two tda2050's on a standard mios size module board. The circuit layout could allow for the board to be configured to function as a 32w stereo amp or as a 64w bridged, push-pull mono amp. Also the option to use a single voltage supply (rather than +v 0v -v) could be allowed for; however i personally dont reccomend it (from experience).. as adding the needed 1000uf of capacitance on the output (as required to kill the dc offset).. takes the edge off the fairly respectable performance of the IC.

More to follow on this completed project.. Busy here..