burner question

carsten_the_dane

:-X i think i fried the LM317 voltage regulator.

I had accidently switch around the capacitor and the "voltage testing pins". Whoops

It almost caught fire  :-\

How on earth can i troubleshoot my board now. Maybe it was just the regulator that died on me, but perhaps all the parts got fried  ???

Nice to know what you´re doing

carsten

Electronics is completely new to me. So if you could please help me on this.

Today i changed the 100uF 16V rectifier with a new one. Its a bit different; it says 100uF and 100V, i hope this is not a problem.

I also changed the first voltage regulator LM317 - this one is changed to one called TL317. The man in the shop said it was the same. Is this a problem?

I think i have manage to find the problem is with the LM317 (now TL317), where the voltage drops from about 9 (not quite 12.5) to 1,5.

Any suggestions would much appreciated?

Thanks

Carsten

Using the multimeter i was measuring volts, particularly looking at the TL317 (LM317 in the schematics, read above).

when i make connection between what i would call finger 1 and 2 on the TL317, the green light lights up quite clear. What could this mean?

(finger 1 and 2 being first to the right and second to the right, looking on the flat side of the TL317)

It's very dangerous to short the legs of a semiconductor, this mostly leads to damage of this part, and if you have bad luck, also of the surounding parts. This doesn't mean, that the other parts are damaged now, but nobody can really tell you, if they still working or not - this can only determined by experts. :-/

I think, the current situation is: when the green LED lights up, then the 5V domain (behind the 7805) is working ok, the problem must be somewhere between the LM317 and 7805 (see schematic). Yes, it doesn't matter if it is a 100uF/100V ecap and a TL317, they both should work.

You are writing:

I think i have manage to find the problem is with the LM317 (now TL317), where the voltage drops from about 9 (not quite 12.5) to 1,5.

where do you measure 9V? Before or after the LM317 (see schematic: "before" is the I pin, "after" is the O pin), voltages have to be measured against ground.

Or more interesting: which voltage do you measure at J1, which at LM317:I, at LM317:O, at J2?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Alright, this explains everything! :)

At J1 you should see a voltage of ca. 18V, it seems that you've connected the 9V blocks in parallel, and not in serial. This means:

one pin of J1 -> 1st 9V block (-)

1st 9V block (+) -> 2nd 9V block (-)

2nd 9V block (+) -> second pin of J1

It's like a chain between the 9V blocks and the power input J1 of the burner module.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I fear that my wrongly specified connection (+) -> J2 fried your LM317 :-(

I'm really sorry about that, I was typing the message too fast. You need a new one - what is your postal address, I will send you a well tested LM317 for free

Best Regards, Thorsten.

My bad about the 0 volts at j1. New 317, New measures:

J1: ~ 18 volts

317: I = ~ 18 volts

317: O = 0.14 volts

J2: 1.41 volts

This time i couldnt possibly have done anything to break the 317. No green lights either.

So whats your advice?

(EDIT): Been spending some time going over the schematics. And i havent been able to find any errors in my setup.

Did i say that i have removed the b80c800 rectifier, and just uses a bridge. but than shouldnt mean anything, right?

Here is a picture of my board, with some additional comments. You can see how i have placed to LEDs, and if there are any problems with my setup otherwise. The little blister on the voltage regulator is because this image is from before i moved the lm317, as explained earlier in this thread.

I hope you dont get to confused by my drawings  :-\

DSCN1504_thumb.jpg

294_DSCN1504_jpg8fd4710384fca61406b0f59e

I think when i had bad results i had tried changing the polarity, just to check if that might be the fault. Could this cause other compoonents to malfunction? - But generally i have been using the pin closest to the lpt as negative and the other as positive. I will put the recitifier back in place, so theres no doubt.

Anyway, i was thinking of just bying all components again (except the sockets), and start over.

Could it be a shortcircuit on the other side of the board. - I have checked but havent found any that i could see.

Just to make sure: theres no polarity on resistors and ceramic capacitors, right?

Well. Thanks again for taking some time to help me

Carsten