Silence please!

cd_cd

One short Question – I read the answer anyware, but I cant find it on all the websites about the MidiBox-SID-Project.

The following effect appears while testing the device: Both of my 6581 still play the last tone after releasing the keyboard (and after the end of the envelope). The 8580 does not have this effect.

Is that normal? What can I do to keep the Synth silent when it is supposed to be?

Thanx

Christian

it's known as the amp envelope bug, and yeah it's normal, though from what i've heard, it can happen to varying degrees of loudness. i think there's a mode you can enable on the MBSID whereby the envelope is controlled by the core, rather than the sid chip itself, thereby ridding you of the BEEPeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee effect. i can't remember the name of it now, but i'm sure it's in the update notes for the MBSID. perhaps TK can help?

Just FYI, I've seen two things. One is the normal 6581 bug where you can still hear the VCA (I believe) at a fairly low level (maybe 5% of the original note -- but I haven't checked it) after the note is done playing. The other involves a broken 6581 I have where it never releases notes until a RST is sent.

Can you post a recording of the noise you are hearing?

-Steve

The first of the two versions is what appears to both of my 6581. So they should be OK. What about the solution? 1.7303b?

There is none. This is a known hardware bug with the SID.

For what it's worth, the 8580 is much improved in this regard.

I've got two nearly identical MIDIbox SIDs (MIDIbox SID-NUXX's), where the only difference is the SID and (obviously) filter caps and voltage regulator. If I get a chance, I can probably record a quick sample from each for you, showing the difference.

-Steve