Seq24 Controller

stryd_one

Hey 'boxers.

The recent beta release of seq24 for win32 drew my attention to the app for the first time since it's initial alpha release and I've got to say I am MOST impressed with it's progress. If you're into step sequencing and haven't checked it out in a while I highly suggest revisiting the link ;)

I wouldn't consider a live sequencer under win32, but the thought of a stripped-back linux system running this thing with a good control surface is certainly interesting. I won't have time to start such a project for a little while but if someone's bored I thought I'd drop the idea for some inspiration ;)

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking along similar lines for a while. A sequencer needs to have twiddle-ability, but I like the idea of one of those sequencers whcih can do complex stepping and counting. I'm not thinking of a live performance unit that much. I would call this concept a hybrid - a control surface to twiddle with and screen based logic control for patching and display.

There are a few real time systems that will run on a PC, (sadly the free QNX is no more), but a Linux RTOS, with a X front might do the job. One other thought might be to try the free Oberon system from ETH Zurich, which has a lot of panel 'widgets' built in, and do run time type checking of modules. I was thinking along the lines of an 'appliance' type device, made from a redundant PC, in much the same way as firewalls like 'Smoothwall', or some of the GPL NAS (Network Attachable Storage) units, work. In effect a recycled PC that booted straight into sequencer mode. There would be no trouble with patch/sequence storage, and a clean kernal woudl run fast on a quite basic machine. When you think what could be done on an Atari....

I did a cruder version of this with BBC micro, one version of which is still running as a light controller, (you could put programs in EPROM and they would run after boot). Sadly the BBC is only a 2MHz 6502, so is not up to the job of a modern sequencer with a control surface, but will do a reasonable bit of MIDI playing. In the UK they can still be picked up at fleamarkets, though that is changing. Unlike their rivals they had a very good structured basic, with an assembler, built in, and a fully documented operating system with proper entry points and alterable vectors. The UMI as used by Vince Clarke, among many others ran on them. They had good expansion ports too. 

The sound chip was nothing like a SID though: a rather sad TI SN76489, with all the fancy envelope stuff done in software. There was a box called 'Music 500', later 'Music 5000' which had digital oscillators and ran off the machines 1Mhz bus, driven initially by a FORTH like language called 'AMPLE', though this was rare and the original version about a user friendly as a hungry guard dog.

<<The 'you are rambling' warning light has just come on!>>

BTW: If anyone has an interest in BBC/retro thing, I've got a few spares. Swaps or free to a good home.

Mike

stryd

I was looking on the net a few weeks ago for a simple, light weight step sequencer for windows... just what the doc ordered.

I'll download this later when I get home. Thanks!

P.S. I appreciate your generous documentation of your sequencer project WIKI. I would like to add a simple arpeggiator to my Chaos MatrixBox and when I get to that point i will probably have to upgrade my PIC to one with a larger flash.

"simple, light weight step sequencer"

it's that and much more ;) Hope it's suitable for you mate.

Hey I can't take all the credit, Wilba and AC have been really helpful with 4620 info. I have given heaps of advice off the board too, about all kinds of things... I'd be lost if not for them :) The guys from the SDCC project are really helpful (busy though!) ... and of course TK came up with the idea ;) It's a team effort. I think I'm the waterboy hahaha