Possibly broken core? no midi out

HL-SDK

Hey, My midibox SID worked 2 days ago, and I was messing around with the LCD.

Before this, I could play the SID and everything. Everything was perfect, I could upload code, display messages and everything. Yesterday I forget what I was doing but anyway... Now I have disconnected the LCD (I am ordering a new one for other reasons) and the DIN and the SID and I think it has the code on there for the sidplayer.

The problem is, when I had the LCD on, it would display a 1x20 line of blocks (it was not a brightness/contrast thing). That's fine, I'm getting a new LCD but the real problem is that my core won't send me an upload request when it powers on... The only reason I can think this would happen is that my heatsinked LM7805 (or 7905 I forget) was left on for too long and got a capacitor too hot or something but I highly dobut this.

So now everything is disconnected except for the midi in, midi out, and power to core...

I can't upload code because core isn't sending midi out.

I dont know what else I can say to help :-/ (btw, the case/box I made is looking good ;))

----EDIT

I have a silly scope I can use to check core pins if you know of any that should be sending midi messages or whatever, this is just very dissapointing because I was having such a great time! (I am 95% sure it isn't a software problem)

Measured Tx PIC pin with SillyScope and it's a constant 5v (I am sending LCD messages from MIOSstudio)

Measured Rx pin and it's sending data

Shorted the 2 and got a loopback (midi out from MIOSstudio came back through in)

So it's not my midi interface, I really think it's a PIC problem and I have ordered anotehr from smash but this pic + LCD is a nice 15$ mistake :'(

Would reburning the PIC be possible?

I had the same problem of fiddling around with the LCD and then my core stopped working, i eventually narrowed it down to the PIC which i reburnt but still to no avail, so i tried a second PIC i had, burnt that and it was alive again.

So possibly the PIC died but im about as far from an expert as you can get.

Thank you for the reply, I dont know what could have possibly gone wrong but really I think your solution is the best idea...

So... the pic and LCD should arrive in a few days and if they don't work, I am going on a school shooting.

but they'll work

...and if they don't work, I am going on a school shooting.

but they'll work

That's a bit extreme, mate....

I know what you mean though.

The problem I find doing projects like this is that I'm really only following the recipe (as another forum member memorably said), without really fully-understanding what I'm doing. Which is fine, until something goes wrong. My other problem is I have a boring job, and therefore far to much time to obsess about the colour of LCD screens and what kind of enclosure to use.

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net