Optimized C64 PSU question...

zlapidus

Hello, I'm sorry for this newbie question, but I've used the search function and am not sure how to find more information.

I'm new to the midibox projects, and I'm really excited to begin building; I finally received all of the parts AND the c64 from which I'll get the SID and PSU!  I have a question though. Although at first I am only only going to build a SID and CORE module, I would like to use a DIN to make the Step A Control surface depicted in ucapps. My question is: if I try to follow the diagram of the optimized c64 power supply, will I have enough power to power the DIN, CORE and SID? I'm sorry that my inexperience with electronics keeps me from answering this question on my own. Thanks a lot for your help.

Actually, you might want to disregard my earlier post, Mr Modnar said earlier somewhere that rectified AC will be higher voltage DC than it is AC so...

I could use a 12.6V radioshack transformer? Rectify it, get 16-17VDC (nevermind this absurd calculation), and power a 12V SID?

Or... pay $20 ($10 shipping!!), get a C64 PSU, plug AC into the SID board and use 5v for core?

The C64PSU isn't nearly as cool as wiring up a power-plug and everything but I guess it'll be fine >.>

DIN jack < mains jack!

----EDIT

you replied while I was posting!

----EDIT

Damn edits

Can I use a 12.6VAC source for both modules? Simply enough?

it uses the ground of the 5VDC, so 5+9=14VDC.

It uses 5VDC from the PSU as a reference for the regulator.

Another thing why I'm pissed about this forum is the post Where You say that "transformers degrade at the time and that is why You see higher voltage at the output" -- Yup, please correct Your post and please, guys who know better - correct these things. Please.

For  HL-SDK, Yes. I guess, You can use that ratshack trafo, it will deliver enough voltage here. Just check how much the Amp rating is.

Moebius

Ok I have time ro run to radioshack before this ebay auction ends on that C64 PSU... the nice thing is that they have a 2 amp transformer for $10!

Anyway! I dont want to burn out a regulator (I hear they have temperature shutoff) I hope that will tell me if they're getting too hot...

Another thing why I'm pissed about this forum is the post Where You say that "transformers degrade at the time and that is why You see higher voltage at the output" -- Yup, please correct Your post and please, guys who know better - correct these things. Please.

Moebius

i said that? i don't remember, you got a link?

aaah, now that rings a bell, i do seem to remember saying something along those lines! oops. sorry to all those offended/confused/mislead by my statements. i assure you they contain no deliberate maligning/confusing/misleading content, merely stupidity/bullsh!ttedness on my part.

peace