Total build cost for midiSID with 4 SIDs and full control panel

Narayan FM

Hi,

honestly, if you don´t even have the time to read a bit over uCApps to find out what is needed, I seriously doubt that you´ll have the time to build the synth ;)

About costs: If you want it easy, then buy kits for all necessary boards from SmashTVs shop. All kits, 15 encoders and a bag of LEDs is around 250 USD from him. You can save some bucks if you buy the parts elsewhere, but Smash´s price is fair considered you won´t have to take care of everything yourself. Then you´ll need some buttons, audio/midi jacks, a LCD etc., which is perhaps another 50 bucks. The most expensive thing is the front panel. I don´t know the exact amount with FPEs current prices, but it will be around 150-200 USD. And you need 4 C64s for the SIDs, a case and PSU. I´ve got mine quite cheap for around 15/piece, but this depends on where you live and how the prices are in your country. This totals to an amount of around 550-600 USD for the full version.

Seppoman

wow the sid is quite expensive.

That´s don´t easy to say because u´ve got a lot of personal variatation wich you´ve to choose by u self.

What I mean is that the choose of components a makin´ the price  ;)

You´ll need the exact quantity of Modules, Parts etc. pp so u can get a first impression about the price.

See the links in ucapps or Mike´s/Smasch for an overview.

The additional part is wich encoders, buttons, leds .... you personaly want.

And there´s a huge range of prices outside ;D

well, what i meant is that i can have every intention of going cheap, and then see that nice expensive case or pretty knobs that i HAVE to have.  each one of these devices can be built for a fraction of what you would pay for similar hardware in a store, and you get customization that you can't money can't buy with commercial gear.  i've already ordered and assembled the five modules i need, and i feel like it's going to be money well spent.

I know really good what you mean. *lol*

I´m working currently at the Frontpannel and thei´re THIS display, THIS buttons etc.pp I HAVE to buy  ;D

Like I mentionid bevore everyone who start building the MbSID, (or other diy-projects anyway), can make a little overview by his-/herself:

-1.) The elektronic parts that where need (a clear determinable price)

-2.) The additionial parts (price swapping between "favorits")

-3.) unexpected problems and find a way to resolve them (unpayable)

:)

I think my single MB SID ended up costing me ~ $100 CAD or so, not counting the additional tools that I bought when I was building it, or the surplus components (ie, needed 2, so I bought 10), etc.  Rough breakdown:

core & SID PCB: $14 ($12 USD)

encoders/buttons:  $3

jacks: $3

PIC: free sample

other components: $30?  Tough call, this seems about right

LCD: $22 @ Digikey

enclosure: $25

So for that, I think it was totally worth it - the only real commercial option out there being the SIDstation, and that's priced at hundreds of dollars more.  I should also point out that my enclosure was just a plastic sloped Hammond case with a hand-drilled aluminum panel - no fancy Schaeffer panels here!

Looking at making a MBFM in a 1U rackmount case, the cost/benefit analysis is somewhat more dismal:

core & OPL3 PCB: $13 ($11 USD)

encoders/buttons:  $3

jacks: $6

powersupply:  $8

PIC: free sample

donor soundcards: $10

other components:  $60+ (I'm also building a filter into there)

LCD: $25 @ Digikey

enclosure: $50 (1U aluminum rack)

Total:  $175 CAD, possibly more; again, including a hand-cut panel.  I just saw a good condition TX-81Z go on the local Craigslist for $100, and that's a fairly common occurrence.