Please help me find a midi interface

stryd_one

Hi all,

This forum is full of really clever types, so I'm hoping one of you can lend me some advice...

I need a lot of MIDI IO. I've long since outgrown my MOTU MIDI Express XT 8x8 interface, and I need to upgrade. I want 16x16 with full routing and filtering, that works standalone also (so the PC can be off), uses serial or parallel interface (USB will be disabled on my DAW for best performance) and will be supported under Vista, Linux and Mac OS X. Don't ask for much do I?

Now as far as I can tell, that doesn't exist :( There's the MOTU MTPAV and MTPII which can be networked, or the eMagic AMT8 and Unitor, but eMagic are long dead afaik, and MOTU have released beta Vista drivers with no mention of the parallel devices, and they took over a year to deliver drivers for XP, so I don't hold up much hope. I've heard the MIDISport 8x8/S is good, but there's no word on Vista support, and I don't think they can be networked or do filtering. I'd settle for two lots of 8x8 rather than a properly networked 16x16 if I have to, but it'd suck... But it seems that non-USB midi is dying with the release of Vista :( I'll also dump windoze if I'm forced to, but again, it'd suck. (not saying there's anythning wrong with linux or macos, I'm just used to windoze.)

Can anyone help? Or have I set the bar too high once again  ???

how about one or more MBHP IIC-Midi Router(s)?  ;D

would that be an option? (I'm building mine hopefully soon, I am so tired of having to plug around all these Midi Cables and loosing oversight about what goes where...). That way you could stick to your 8 port interface but increase your I/Os...

Cheers,

Michael

I just counted again... 278, once the MBFM, MBSEQ, MBSID and vX are finished... It's a freakin nightmare. It's a very nice nightmare that I worked very hard for, but a nightmare nonetheless heheh

I think I can cut it down to 200 or so if I don't use all the sampler channels and I don't use automation on all the FX channels, but that's unlikely ;)

Stryd,

Thorsten mentioned the Egosys (ESi) to me a while back and it looked pretty good. It's 8x8 but it's USB. Don't know about multi-unit support though. It was also pretty inexpensive. I swear I saw one for $150 (USD) then, but looking around now, it's in the 200 something range.

Good luck on the parallel. I busted my head trying to find a DIY of that or even a serial one for current Windows and never came up with anything. Let me know if you do. I still fish around for it every so often.

I would be hard pressed to resort to MOTU for much of anything else at this point. Got the parallel MicroExpress (half rack ver. of yours), and the 424/2408mk3. I have a feeling they're going to leave me stuck with upgrading the 424 if I upgrade my main studio rig (maybe soon), unless I sell off the combo and get an RME like I should've done to begin with. >:(

Cross you fingers for parallel MIDI!

George

I think you're right, it's time to admit that parallel aint gonna happen :(

Now that I think of it, that doesn't help much either... Even though the MOTU will network, the XP/Vista version of the software doesn't allow editing of the 2nd IF in the net.

I think I'm going to have to go MOTU and buy a Mac to make this happen  ::) 

Shutup AC, I know what you're thinking, yeh I should've had the mac all along, who asked you anyway LOL  <-- joking buddy

Seriously though I think I might have to try the IIC router option first, with some clever programming I might be able to sort it out...Like sharing a channel for CC's and Notes and SysEx and then routing the one channel to different ports etc... I dunno.

What's up with that though? 16x16 setups are not that rare, and nor are PC's... Apparently no manufacturers have noticed!

Shutup AC, I know what you're thinking
  :-X ;D

Seriously though I think I might have to try the IIC router option first

Yeah, I really think this would be the best option, too.

Maybe you'll find a fitting interface someday, but I fear you'd had to sell your shorts to be able to pay that...

An mbhp-iic-router could be configured as merger or splitter, too.

And if you don't have no need to record it all at once on your PC hrmhrm... Mac I mean, you could add mechanical switch buttons to send the signals along...

cheers!

Michael