PLED/OLED Module Shortage???

Mr modnaR

from Crystalfontz:

Please note:

We are sorry to notify you that we are no longer able to supply PLED/OLED modules. Our supplier has difficulty obtaining the PLED panels. We have discontinued PLED/OLED modules until further notice.

from Matrix Orbital:

Due to our PLED (Polymeric Light Emitting Diodes) supplier announcing that they are no longer going to be manufacturing this technology, we, Matrix Orbital, hereby submit this letter to inform you that we must discontinue all of our products that use PLED technology. Click HERE to read more.

dammit, i knew it was alien technology released into the public domain too early for us to handle it!!  ;D

seriously though, what's going on with this, anyone know??

Well, Winstar and OSD (One Stop Displays) still have them on their website. There's obviously still high demand for character displays, even long after other kinds of displays have been available, so perhaps it's just one manufacturer that's discontinuing for some reason, and Crystalfontz and Matrix Orbital are too lazy to switch to a new supplier.

If there really was low demand for PLED/OLED, why would manufacturers be developing new products that use it?

oled_prod.jpg

One Stop Displays (OSD) is proud announce the latest product reliability information for OLED displays..

Winter Park, FL -May 5, 2006 -- One Stop Displays (OSD) releases the latest news from OSD is their new 100k Hr OLED display offerings. This new lifetime advancement will allow new applications to consider OLED technology. The advancement is limited to monochromatic yellow display products. The lifetime is calculated for operational hours from initial to half-brightness at 25*C.

The new feature product applying the latest material enhancements is the OSD5664ASYAT02, 256x64 monochrome OLED. This display is perfect for 1RU rack mount designs, automotive, avionics, and a full range of applications. The display can support 7-bits per pixel PWM for 'grayscale' image depth. The display offers compatibility with parallel, I2C, and SPI interfaces via a standard ZIF-style 0.5mm pitch flex interface. The display is a relatively large OLED display offered at 2.8? @ 84.0 x 25.8 x 2.2 mm outline dimensions.

2.2mm thick!

my intention was to imply that these corporations use cheap labour in china, hence criticising the company rather than the chinese. apologies to all offended.

Where else? ... Might be the reason that you can buy them for a few dollars  ;) I think all displays are made in "cheap" china

Greets, Roger

yes but not by slave kids (hopefully).

... don't hope too much. - This is the awful downside of free enterprise. Some decades ago it was Japan now it's China and Korea.

You for shure are right and this situation makes me sick. But what do you want? If you want to be competitive in the marked, you have to buy the ICs and other components there, because your competitor will do it and he will beat the price down.

The only way to do a tiny action against this is (that's what I do), not to buy those "over cheaped" end products like whole HiFi setups for $100, screwdrivers for $1 and, and, and... But the action is tiny, because your neighbor will buy the stuff for a couple of bucks and keeps the business running.

Greets, Roger