About step B

LGB

Hello,

I'm an enthioustic DIYer, I like the C64 but I know little about synths. Well I know one thing, I like them ;)

I'm thinking about building a MIDIbox SID (which shouldn't be a problem, I've got enough experience) but I don't know what are the advantages of step B (multiple SID's). I suppose you could mix the sounds or something so that you can create more sounds, but I'm not sure...

Also am I right that the MIDIbox SID is polyphonic by itself (even without multiple SID's)? I'm wondering how that's done, I know the SID has 3 oscillators, for a nice sound you have to use at least 2 oscillators I suppose, so how can you make polyphony out of that?

And another question, how are the the additional LFO's and envellopes generated? I suppose by the software in the PIC?

what are the advantages of step B (multiple SID's).
Well, each one can store and play a totally different patch, and can also be modulated differently by the PIC engine, as well as playing a separate melody over MIDI.  So it's effectively a completely separate additional synth in the same (or a different) box.
polyphonic by itself ... 3 oscillators
Everyone's idea of a nice sound is different.  ;D You can sequence each oscillator separately, so you have the choice of playing 3 single osc voices (through one filter) or one 3 osc voice, per SID.
additional LFO's and envellopes generated? I suppose by the software in the PIC?

Yup.

• 2 weeks later...