Is this possible, what would be needed?

sidysm

K firstly does anyone here use nuendo/sx, everyone seems to be logic users which could prove difficult?

I want my midi box to be based on a Mackie Control but with much more instantanious channel control at the same time.

Being used to an analogue console and as it is mostly audio I work with, anything else is sampled on a seperate machine and when nuendo 2 comes out I am going to system link this also for vstis also so it will only be audio on my DAW, I just want a hands on controller so I don't need to constantly worry about mixing at a monitor and switching locations etc..

What I plan is basically audio channel strips and a master section akin to MC but on each channel instead of 1 rotary and 3 buttons, I want 1 rotary for pan 4 switchable encoders for sends and eq's (ie. mode 1=eq gain 2=eq freq. 3=send1-4 gain 4=send5-8 gain) and buttons to select solo, mute, record, monitor, eq bypass, send bypass,  insert bypass and write enable, an lcd to display the channel names and eventually a meter bridge but that is for later.

Therfore each channel has 1 motor fader, 8 buttons, 5 rotary encoders and a lcd displaying the channel name..  the 8 channels as a whole have 4 mode select buttons controling 4  of the rotary encoders.

I forsee basically a midibox LC with 2 16E's linked in for all rotaries to be controlled, and using hard wired banksticks to switch between the four modes for the extra rotaries.

I would also want to have these extendable so I could eventually run it with 32 simoultaneous channels and take advantage of the add features to allow me full realtime control over 64 channels.

As all my a/d's are taken care of externally so I'm wanting an ssl consoles control without any audio capabilities.

so the questions then...

1. would this theoretically be acheivable?

2. would the link facility be able to output all these over 1 midi output?

3. would it be 3 18f cores running LC and 2 16E's as  imagined or is their an easier way?

4. the MF unit only controls 8 faders...does the LC emulation allow 9 to include the master fader?

5. would an image be helpful to visualise what I mean?

on another note congrats to axel on the latest box as it's reinspired to get back to developing this, thats a gorgeous controller.

1. would this theoretically be acheivable?

sure :)

2. would the link facility be able to output all these over 1 midi output?

If Nuendo or Cubase SX allows the use of a MC and a "Generic Remote device" over one MIDI IO port, this should work.

3. would it be 3 18f cores running LC and 2 16E's as  imagined or is their an easier way?

One PIC18F core can manage up to 64 rotary encoders, so I don't see the need for two MIDIbox16E.

4. the MF unit only controls 8 faders...does the LC emulation allow 9 to include the master fader?

no, thats defenitely not possible :-/ But a core with free analog inputs could handle the 9th fader

5. would an image be helpful to visualise what I mean?

yes, it would help to estimate how much cores are really required and it would be easier for me to make modifications on the picture to show how the units have to be connected.

Best Regards, Thorsten.