simple oscillating LED circuit

th0mas

Totally unrelated to midiboxing, but this is the forum I know and love.

For my girlfriend this valentine's day I'm thinking about taking a little mint container (hello kitty to be precise), dremelling a heart out ot the top and inserting a semitransparent plastic layer underneath, then having a little red LED fade in and out.

I don't have much time so I cannot require ordering parts, and if I can help it want to stick to radioshack since there's one three blocks away VS about an hour bussing during my work hours for any real electronics store.

The two suggestions I've seen are using two 555 IC's with very slightly different oscillation frequencies (but 50/50 duty cycle) fed through an XOR gate.  The effect would be sorta like PWM.  I at least understand how this one works.

The other suggestion I've seen is from http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm#eyes.gif (scroll down to the "Fading Red Eyes" header), involving a 1458 opamp.

I really have one question: can I swap the 1458 for a TL082 opamp?  I have no clue what opamp's do so I can't really tell based on datasheets, and am wondering if anyone knows.

Thanks guys.

Tom

The other suggestion I've seen is from http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm#eyes.gif (scroll down to the "Fading Red Eyes" header), involving a 1458 opamp.

I really have one question: can I swap the 1458 for a TL082 opamp?  I have no clue what opamp's do so I can't really tell based on datasheets, and am wondering if anyone knows.

It doesn't look like there's any particular reason that the designer used the 1458, other than it being a dual opamp.  A TL082, 072, pair of 741s, etc. should work just fine.  Whatever you have on hand.  If you've got a breadboard handy, it should only take a few minutes to test.  If you don't have a breadboard... why not?  Go get one, they're only a few bucks! :-)  Heck, you can probably even find a small cheapish one at Radioshack...

It doesn't look like there's any particular reason that the designer used the 1458, other than it being a dual opamp.  A TL082, 072, pair of 741s, etc. should work just fine.  Whatever you have on hand.  If you've got a breadboard handy, it should only take a few minutes to test.  If you don't have a breadboard... why not?  Go get one, they're only a few bucks! :-)  Heck, you can probably even find a small cheapish one at Radioshack...

Thanks!  I'm actually going to try the capacitor across the LED first, I think the sudden on/decay might actually look cooler than fading in and out - but I'm glad to know if I'm not happy with that I can substitute op-amps :D

Why don't you get a 40106 hex schmitt trigger and build a couple of square wave oscillators. This has the advantage not only of outrageously low parts count, but also extremely low current, (You can  get PWM using just two inverters if you're so inclined).

I actually already have the 555 circuit built!  Thanks for this option though, I might look at it for some other ideas.  Now to tweak my resistor values!

Having seen:

http://compiler.kaustic.net/machines/apc.html

I'm thinking about integrating this into her gift - she likes things that go beyoowoooppppp. AFAIK the circuit is basically two 555's, with one of them controlling the other's oscillation frequency or duty (or both.. or something).

Could I integrate the LED into the controlling 555's output so it also flashes while modulating the second 555?  I figure it might work since the frequency will be low enough to be visible (I think - I'm going to have to analyze the circuit to guarentee that).

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm sure you aren't, but just to wrap up this thread here is a picture of what I ended up giving her (only a couple days late, too! whew!)

414708509_68f8f14adb.jpg?v=0

Her description of the picture: "happiness is BEEEEYYYYYSQUEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee!!!YYYOWWWBBRRRRRRDDDDDD RRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEOOOOOOO " and she says thanks for answering my questions :D

Cheers,

Tom