SidFilD - a SID filter/blackbox diagnostic tool

Hi all,

after two days of work I present something of interest for you. It's a little Java program that generates some typical sine waves, outputs them from the sound card, then gets the RMS level of the signal just coming from the line input.

Then it presents the results in a tab-separated list to the standard output, so it can easily imported in a spreadsheet to get a graph or do some further analysis.

Obviously it's a poorly-tested alpha version, written in a hurry to "see" more about the filter characteristics of my SID. However it's good to analyze the frequency response of any "black box" with an audio input and output.

You can set start frequency, end frequency and the band width (1-octave or 1/3rd-octave).

Before scanning frequencies, it checks for background noise RMS level (audio card & black box). You can also tell him to do just this task, if you need to.

All these options are settable from the command line options (just use -h to see them).

An important planned feature is the ability to control the cutoff/resonance value and filter type of a MIDIbox SID.

... and it's GPL'd :)

Please try it and/or let me know what you think!!

SidFilD-0.1.zip

Hi all,

after two days of work I present something of interest for you. It's a little Java program that generates some typical sine waves, outputs them from the sound card, then gets the RMS level of the signal just coming from the line input.

Then it presents the results in a tab-separated list to the standard output, so it can easily imported in a spreadsheet to get a graph or do some further analysis.

Obviously it's a poorly-tested alpha version, written in a hurry to "see" more about the filter characteristics of my SID. However it's good to analyze the frequency response of any "black box" with an audio input and output.

You can set start frequency, end frequency and the band width (1-octave or 1/3rd-octave).

Before scanning frequencies, it checks for background noise RMS level (audio card & black box). You can also tell him to do just this task, if you need to.

All these options are settable from the command line options (just use -h to see them).

An important planned feature is the ability to control the cutoff/resonance value and filter type of a MIDIbox SID.

... and it's GPL'd :)

Please try it and/or let me know what you think!!

That's a great tool.

Is it possible to make it scan in smaller bands?

Thanks,

D.

Is it possible to make it scan in smaller bands?

I discovered that -e, -1 and -3 options were not working. They're fixed now.

I also implemented a custom factor option if you still need to.

Another option to implement is the possibility to output a tab- or comma-separated table: the latter is more handy with OpenOffice.org Calc (and maybe Excel too).

Stay tuned!

SidFilD-0.2.zip

• 3 years later...

Sorry for unburying this really old thread. I was looking for this program I wrote, but I see there are no attachments... were they deleted or were they just moved somewhere else?

It's since a long time I didn't go in the forums and I'm a little bit lost with this new design.

Best regards, Enrico