FT232BM - alternative USB module?

grepo

I can't speak for the whole world, but I have had no luck with this chip. I've built the sample circuit out of the datasheet on two separate occasions and had the same problem:

Firstly, I could not find any driver that would work with the usb data and convert it into midi, so my solution was to use Mas/MSP. The problem I experienced here was that little pieces of the midi messages would get lost. This meant that not every message was captured and it was unusable for a piece of performance gear.

I have recently returned from overseas and am just getting back into my midibox, which I am determined to run through USB so hopefully I can work out these problems and not have to purchase a usb interface.

I have a sneaking suspicion it has to do with the signal not being filtered well enough, so perhaps that is the next point of attack for me.

If you do try with this chip, I hope you have better luck, but for me I could not get it to work. I need to learn how to program code, and take the information directly from the serial port.

good luck

trent

I have seen it in action with MIDI but in all cases with Atmel chips.

Maybe you should take look at www.monome.org

There are more information about it.

I have no programming skills...  :-\

Founded things:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Knowledgebase/index.html?aliasingbaudrates.htm

You will have to edit the FTDI drivers. You can run the serial port at 31250 bps. You will need to make a few changes to FTDIPORT.inf

(under win XP)

midi-usb.gif

some other info:

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf

grepo,

thanks for the those couple of links - i think i have been very close, but never really gave it the time to just sit down and slog through all of the literature. i've been in touch with brian crabtree (the head guy at monome) quite a bit, and he's given me a whole bunch of great info and insights. i actually have my pics flashed with the serial baudrate (meant for the to-COM module), but I guess there still maybe some kind of clash there - i will have a better look today and perhaps some success...

thanks for the kick in the bum to get me thinking about this again.

ill be sure to post a bunch of pics and info if i can get this little device to work... im sure some guys around here will have a right laugh at how i soldered that tiny little SMD with a $30 dick smith soldering iron and terribly large diameter solder..

thanks, and i hope it gives you hope that it may be possible to use this chip - perhaps at even higher baudrates (with less latency??) than the standard midi in/outs.

trent