Where to start with assembler programming

ReinerS

Hi all,

my name is Reiner and I am using Midio128 to interface an old electronic organ to the Hauptwerk virtual pipe organ software.

I now want to modify the Midio128 application so that I can use an LCD display connected to the core module to display Hauptwerk status messages. These are sent via sysex messages (but in a different format than those accepted by the MIOS display routines). Now I am looking for how to start.

I have downloaded Miosstudio and MPLAB-IDE as well as the Midio128 sources, I can assemble and upload to the core, so all of that works. My first test was (just as a test to see how this whole procedure works) to disable the display routines built into the Midio software, ok, that worked also.

Now I need to get into assembler programming. While I am familiar with C, C++, and several scripting languages (Matlab/Octave, tcl/tk), I have never worked with assembler before and it all looks rather strange to me.

Can anyone here point me to a good starting point for understanding PIC-assembler and also basic MIOS programming?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Naturally, if I get this to work, I'll make this code available in case anyone finds it useful.

Many thanks

Reiner

Hello,

just to close this topic: I have now switched to MIOS-C-programming starting from the ain64-din128-dout128 example. This way I was able to get the results that I wanted fairly quickly and without worrying about assembler.

So I can only heartily recommend MIOS-C programming! It works very nicely, and while my solution may be not as elegant or fast as modifying the original midio128 application, it works and I understand the code!

Thanks for this great operating system, software and documentation.

Reiner

...and just a quick add-on:

if you compile your C-code with SDCC, a new folder called "_output" is created. In there you will find the generated .asm files with plenty of comments.

Taking a look into those is pretty useful to track down errors and by the way you also start getting knowledge about asm :)

And you can take a look to the wiki (developer section), there's explained how to mix asm and C code (not necessarily needed, but good to know)...

Cheers,

Michael