Midi Clock output add on for a digitech jamman pedal

widdly

I've got a digitech jamman pedal (http://www.digitech.com/products/JamMan/JamMan.htm).  I use it record guitar loops and jam over the top of them. Unfortunately it doesn't have a midi port or clock signal so I can't automatically sync it to other equipment.

It does however have an led that flashes for each beat.  My idea is to stick a photo diode or an LDR onto the flashing led and feed it to a digital input on a MB core. 

Alternatively I could connect a diode and a plug in parallel with the LED inside the Jamman and use this to connect  to the digital input on the core.

In the core I could write an application to measure the time between each pulse,  divide it by 24 and then use that value to send the midi clock messages.  I could program the core to start and stop the clock in response to another digital input connected to a foot switch. 

I think the software shouldn't be too much trouble since I've done a lot of c coding before and I should be able to reuse much of the midiclock application the TK has written.  I'm more concerned with a good way of getting from the flashing led on jamman into a digital signal on the core.

Any ideas? Do you think this would work?

• 1 month later...

Hey,

currently, I'm looking for something pretty similar for my Casio DM-100 which also has a LED blinking to the beat. I was thinking along the LDR technique, too. but maybe one fourth of a 4016 quad switch would give a cleaner digital signal... Please tell me about your progress. I don't know how to code, so I'd really appreciate anything you come up with.

Do you think the application could work on a 16fxxx Pic? I have a few of them lying around and would really like to put them to a proper use...

cheers,

der Warst