48 pots , 96 buttons and 8 encorders into 1 CORE ?

John Hetmond

Hi all

I have a small ( or meaby big ! ) problem . I'm creating my MIDIBOX based on 1 CORE,  2 AINX4 , 3 DINX4 and 1 DINX2 .

I designed my panel to connect 48 pots , 96 buttons and 8 encorders. Is it possible to put it all thru one CORE module ?

Everywhere i can only find od MIdibox64 or MidiBox64E there is no mix of both... so i'm thinking is it possible.

I think it is - i will connect my 3 DINX4 (96 buttons) and 1 DINX2 (8 encorders) in chain module and only define in MIOS right amount of every pot, button, etc

Am i right ? or it's necessairly to connect encoders to other CORE module and then chain 2 COREs ?

Hi John,

MB64E (which is better than MB64) has a fixed data structure for 64 buttons, 64 LEDs, 128 7bit events for rotary encoders or pots, and 64 LED rings.

If the remaining 32 buttons should only be used to send statically assigned MIDI events (e.g. Note On events), I could give you a small routine which has to be inserted into USER_DIN_NotifyToggle

Note that the encoders require 16 digital inputs - you need 4 DINX4 modules

Best Regards, Thorsten.

DINX4 = 32 digital inputs

When i have 8 encorders - i need 16 digital inputs = DINX2

Am i wrong ?

All 96 buttons will send statically assigned MIDI events  =]

(I'm creating my monster especially for ableton live - so there's no matter what button should control - it must send on/off signal .)

So i will be glad if you will tell me what have to be inserted to use all 96 buttons.

well .. i'm tryin to learn how to change all the codes to make it all working but i dont understand much.

I think that meaby at the beggining i'll use existing applications with two cores in chain - couse ai the moment when i'm trying to change something in the code is something like trying to run thru the forest with closed eyes ...

Would be a good idea to have two cores :

- one with MB64 Application ( for 48 pots - 2 AINX4 /+/ 64 buttons - 2 DINX4 )

- second with MB64E Application ( for 8 encoders + 32 buttons - 2 DINX4 )

And now questions of newbie = / :

1. which core should be slave and which master ? ( in which file i have to change "device numer" or smth like that ?? )

[ or meaby i only have to have merger enabled in master and he will transmit all the bits from the slave ? ]

2. do i have to change anything in the codes when i want to use all the buttons only as note on / off ?

3. if i will delete all the lines about the LED's in the MB64e codes - the latency will be lower ?

[ i think it doesnt matter ? there will be just "blank messages" sending from PIC to no-where ? ]

I know these are silly questions but i don't have enought knowledge to do that... at Warsaw Technical University we are learning how to write programs in C# but ... at the beginning these programs ale simple and easy ... not like here = /

---------

Meaby the way that TK suggested in much easier ? - just to change few lines of MB64 code with some "Copy-Paste Sections"? Is it ?

Thanks for any answer. Next week i would like to "close" my MB and start programming - so i want to know how to connect the modules - to use one core and 4 dinx4 in chain and 2 ainx4 in chain or other solutions ... I want to prevent situation in which i will resolder parts 5 times .

John .