finally trying 18F4620

Hi all,

I've had my MBSeqV2 up and running for a while, I tested today uploading apps via MIOS Studio latest version downloaded today using one of my standard PIC 18F452. No problems uploading a variety of apps so I'm pretty sure hardware is ok, MIDI cables etc tested just incase. Even checked my Java version, seems to not be beta.

All I have done is swap the old 18F452 for the new 18F4620 and when I boot up the box I see the classic black bars on the LCD. However MIOSStudio is constantly receiving the F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7 every 2 seconds. From memory this means that MIOSBootstrap loader is burnt onto the pic, which is what Mike did for me.

So I went through my usual procedure, trying to upload MIOS1.9d via the MISOStudio software. I have tried all of the ways, using feedback, smart mode etc and constantly get the same behaviour. MIOSStudio receives an upload request, it sends the first block of data then the window shows this:

Error: Received unexpected Upload Request

Sending block 00003100-000031FF

Since then I have tried quite a few different things, reading the PIC in my JDM using the WINPIC800 software seems to say that its reading the PIC. When the read is finished the settings window remainswith FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF. I have tried reburning the bootloader and it won't work. Although I must say I have never had any joy burning a PIC with this JDM :) I usually use broccoli which now isnt compatible with 18F4620 :(

Any ideas what to try next? I've got a MBHPBURNER PCB ready to build if the worst comes to the worst but its a bit weird don't you think? Could it be something connected to the ID or config bits?

TIA For any suggestions

Dave

Hi Wilba,

Thanks for the reminder, to be honest I have given up with the JDM. I've had it for 3 years an never burnt a PIC successfully. I tried a variety of machines, O/S's etc - no joy.

TO ALL:

Luckily even though it says in various places on ucapps or the forum, just get a PIC from Mike with the bootloaders burnt in, my experience has shown that being able to burn my own PIC is essential. Originally I was using broccoli to burn all of my 18F452's, unfortunately it looks like devlopment of this application has stopped and they won't be supporting 18F4620. I tried all of the recommended software with both JDM and Broccoli hardware (P18,WinPIC800, broccoli software, PICpgm etc) but no joy. Built my PICBurner hardware which I bought just incase this sitaution arose, the hardware worked perfectly first time, hurrah!

Before reflashing my 18f4620, which was ordered preloaded with bootloader1.2 from mike, I used P18

to compare the PIC contents with the bootloader file on ucapps. P18 reported 541 program errors, none in Device or config.

So I removed the CP, erased the PIC and reflashed the bootloader, put the PIC into my MBSEQ et voila, booted first time :)

My main point here is this: If you are tinkering with MidiBoxes I would personally recommend having a PICBurner handy. It is a couple of Euros and a nights soldering but then you are protected against weird problems like I encountered here.

Best

Dave mK