can anyone give me rough estimates of the total expense of making a midibox sid?

syntheticsolace

That depends largely on what exactly you want to build. 1 SID - more SIDs. No CS - basic CS - full CS. Front panel made of cardboard or professionally engraved alu. The list goes on. Some numbers are on the uCApps - Midibox SID page. Another link:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8162.0

Seppoman

P.S. it´s not common to put two thirds of a post into the topic line ;)

That depends largely on what exactly you want to build. 1 SID - more SIDs. No CS - basic CS - full CS. Front panel made of cardboard or professionally engraved alu. The list goes on. Some numbers are on the uCApps - Midibox SID page. Another link:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8162.0

Seppoman

P.S. it´s not common to put two thirds of a post into the topic line ;)

LOL YEAH you usually don't put the whole thing into the subject line but i thought it would grab attention!lol

Can fun have a cost ;) ?

First deposit should be about .... ??? ... perhaps NOTHING when you take all parts out of old things ;) ..... 50 € ... that should be a single sid with a medium control unit and lcd. It's how we said, the higher quality you want the more money you'll have to spent. Most expensive parts are the chassis, knobs, encoders. (and the SID/C64 if you have to buy them and dont have them already. Search ebay for them.) But if you are good with your hands you can build a good looking chassis/frontpanel by your own and save perhaps over 100Euro. ALso you can buy 15-pack of LEDS for 5 Euro at Conrad or search ebay for a 100-pack for 10 Euro and use the rest of the leds for your next project.

I think you should start with a single SID. You have to search a good shop. Do you know smashtv or pcbmike?

http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/

http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/shop_deutsch/index.htm

You have to know what you want to build by your own or what you buy ready2use. Thats one of the biggests factors of DIY. If you have an old C64 with a SID left and have the skill to etch your own pcb. (google for "diy pcb etching" or sth) 15 Euros will do to get your Sid waving :) If you dont want to configure all the settings over PC... then you can buy your parts for the control surface. That would be more costs.

Go and look what you exactly want for the beginning ... make a list and look into the webshops :)

A complete good looking SID can cost you nothing or ... dont know 300 euro (including professional frontpanel and all parts with high quality) ????

I esimate mine quad SID would cost not more than 100 EUR. You can save alot of money using non aluminum panels.

My panel is going to be made out of laser cut/engraved plastics. Panel is going to cost me less than 15 EUR including 2 supporting subpanels (without material itself as I already have it). I used that material before and it is great - scratch proof, sturdy and inexpensive.

I also dont have to buy SIDs as I already have it, so I save pretty much money on those most expensive parts. It pays off if you put some effort in finding good part source as dj3nk already said.

MBSID step A is what you shoud start with, and when you hook up, you will know how you want to upgrade it.

If you good with hands and put alot of time and effort in it, you can make pretty inexpensive gear but great thing is to make something that is so unique, acording to your needs/design that canot be bought annywhere in the world and it is great satisfaction for builder! Also, you will learn alot wile building this even yuo have experience with electronics.

Good luck