Step A control surface issue

NeurDis

I'm trying to set up my control surface, and am having some problems. I'm trying to use a 2x40 LCD with 10 buttons, 1 menu button and 1 encoder.

I altered the settings in the main.asm, made the hex file, and uploaded it. There didn't seem to be any issues with that (at least no error messages). Is there another part of the software that I need to change other than the main.asm?

There is also the possibility that I made a mistake on something with the hardware. Is the connection between the core and the DIN module pretty much 1:1. What I mean is, from the core to the DIN does it go RC-RC, SC-SC, S0-S0, ect? (Im using the boards from Smach TV is that makes a difference)  Also, I'm connceting to J9 on the core. Is this correct?

Other than the control surface everyting seems to work fine. I've go it all boxed up and I'm ready to paint it. I'm going to post a build journal once I'm finished.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

LOL, I guess I did! Thats what I get for trying to post here and work at the same time....I need to work less ;)

Basically, I don't think the unit knows the surface it there. I feel that I may be missing something big. Assuming that the CS is enabled in the main.asm (and it's physically hooked up correctly), would it just show up when you boot the SID? When I press the buttons or turn the encoder, nothing happens. The display shows the exact same thing that it did before I hooked up the CS.

To sum up that question: What do I need to do software-wise in order to tell the box that there is a CS hooked up?

And on the physical front, how do the pins on the core match up with the pins on the DIN? does each pin of the same name hook up with it's counter part on the other module?

Thanks again!

normally nothing :\

yes its 1 to 1.  http://ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs/mbsid_din_default.pdf

Attention!! on the DINModule page menu buttons are on the top of the pcb. In the pdf on the sid page they are down.

Check if your core in master mode? in SLavemode the cs doesnt respond. read in the top of main.asm.

;; set this to '0' to disable the control surface - this is especially usefull for

;; people who want to program their own CS handler in order to free

;; some memory

;; It's also a good idea to disable the CS if the core is running as SID slave

;; (although this is no requirement!)

#define CS_ENABLED 1

;; if this option is set to "1", the CS will be enabled if the MIOS device ID is 0x00, and

;; it will be disabled if the MIOS device ID is != 0x00

;; in other words: the control surface will only be enabled for the master

;; note that this mechanism doesn't remove the CS code like CS_ENABLED == 0

#define AUTO_CS_ENABLED 1

greetz

Thanks for the info.

It turns out that I had some wiring issues. It now recognizes part of the DIN. I can get buttons 1-4 to work like they're supposed to, but the rest, including the menu and encoder, are acting screwy. It's definitely acting like it's hooked up wrong.

On this diagram: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_cs/2x40_enc.pdf  it shows that on a DIN x2, J3-J6 are seperate SIL connectors. I'm using a DIN 4x from Smash TV, and it has four seperate DIL connectors. Does that diagram work with the DIN 4x board? If so, are the pin connections the same?

......and then I noticed the section in the cs_menu_io_tables.inc file that says menu buttons 6-10 have to be enabled if you're going to use them. I guess I missed that! 

Menu button #5, the main menu button, and the encoder also don't work...and I'll bet it's a similar problem!

*edit*

Yep, it was all software. The whole control surface works now!

I hadn't defined the pins for buttons 6-10, and had to alter the settings for #5, the menu button, and the encoder.