Program Change Clicks

whomper

Changing the volume register will result in an audible click, and I think also changing filter mode also causes a click. It's much worse with 6581 than 8580/6582... this is how the C64 gurus made digitized samples come out of the SID - toggling the volume register at a fast enough rate turned those clicks into very crappy 1-bit audio  ;D  I'm speaking from memory here, so I may be wrong...

Hmm then we'd need a user-configurable parameter to mute and unmute the mixer, for each of the SID outs... And if you repatch the thing to a different channel on your desk, it won't work... And that's assuming the desk can be automated... And if it's muted when the SID isn't at a 0 crossing, it'll click anyway...

I think this one can be put down to "the usual SID bugs"

Hmm then we'd need a user-configurable parameter to mute and unmute the mixer, for each of the SID outs... And if you repatch the thing to a different channel on your desk, it won't work... And that's assuming the desk can be automated... And if it's muted when the SID isn't at a 0 crossing, it'll click anyway...

I think this one can be put down to "the usual SID bugs"

LOL...

Let me clarify here:  "Mute the channel on your mixer - manually, by pushing the mute button with your finger - before changing patches."

Not as useful if you need to instantly switch parts in the middle of a song, but if you have a four-bar break, that's good enough.  If the MIDI program change message is automated, set it to the start of the third bar, and you have enough space on either side to mute/unmute with plenty of time to spare.