sysexbox and/or perl still necessary?

Hi MB-Experts,

upon my journey thhrough the MB universe I often find a reference to Serge´s sysexbox, but the download link does not work:

http://www.midibox.org/mios_tools/sysexbox_18f_v1_1c.zip

Is this app even necessary any more, as well as the vMIDIBOX64/e??? It seems to me that the MIOS Studio makes those obsolete.

Also, the description about the PERL script to convert Assembler code to Sysex seems not necessary any more, is this correct?

As a Newbie it is quite confusing to read the different pages of the WIKI, I am still not sure how the different applications work together:

MIOS/MPASM/C++/INI-FILES/SYSEX.

I do understand that the LAST STEP before downloading has to be SYSEX, but before this I do not know if I have to convert C++ to Assembler first, and how the INI-Files have to be used (I think they are an addition to the applications like MIDIIO128, but how does the PIC know where to put them in the memory if MIDIO128 is already on the PIC????).

Sorry if those are too many questions in one go, but I try to get the "bigger picture" here.

Thanks for any hints,

kap.

stryd, thanks again for the inital reply.

I want to build a large 128 switch array for sequencing/ableton-clip-triggering (MIDIO128) and a MB64(E) in parallel for track mixing. I ordered all the parts already and wanted to use the "idle time" now to prepare myself for programming the PICs.

I installed gputils, activeperl, mplabtools, miosstudio and midiox.

I read most of the readme´s, the wiki and various forum messages.

I do understand that for uploading the MIOS and than, after that, uploading the applications "as they are" to the PICs I only need MIOS studio. However, when I want to change settings in the applicatinos, I have to reassemble them with my own changes applied to them.

So I open the MIDIO128 main.asm in MPLAB, change it, make the project, receive a new main.asm, and upload this with MIOS studio.

BUT: I also read about the MIDIO INI-FILE, about ActivePERL, GPUTILS,  CODE::BLOCKS (with all the various apps needed) and about MIDI_OX, and I do not know how those fit in the chain.

Thank you for your time,

kap.

hi,

Use the mk_midio128_syx.zip script to assign the MIDI events to the IO's and Serge's SysExBox to transfer the configuration data to the MIDIO128 unit.

If you cannot find Serge's SysExBox, use MIDI_OX to transmit the syx-file.

MIOSStudio unfortunately can only transmit .hex-files

If you want to change the sourcecode, you must do it with MPLAB, because MIDIO is written in ASM. Recompile as described under MPLAB at uCapps.de

Upload the hex with MIOSStudio OR the syx with MIDIOX.

If you need to convert a .hex file to .syx you will need Perl (if it's not already installed on your computer). That's what activePerl is for.

for an understanding of the bootlaoder, MIOS and your program see the graphic here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mios

basically it's all described well on http://www.ucapps.de

Regards,

Michael

michael,

thank you, bu it seems just BECAUSE I read almost every page on uCapps and the WIKI I am confused..--)))) there is just so much information, and some of the articles were written in another "aera" then others (for example those where no STUDIO was available), so this was confusing to me.

The remaining questions after a long night of study are:

-when I want to change the MIDI commands which are spit out by the MB64E buttons/pots, do I have to do this in the MAIN.ASM file, in one of the countless INC and H-files, or in the INI file?

- how can I assign MB64E buttons to instantly recall a configuration, I understand this is done by the META-Commands FF xx xx, but it is not clear to me which of those commands recall a configuration instantly, without having to press additional buttons.

thank you so much for your input,

kap.