Programming PIC18F452 for Midibox64 - step-by-step

Hello.

I need 128 note on/off buttons and 64 controllers (pots), and all 128 butoons on 1st midi channel and pots od second midi channel, as i assume i need 2 cores or is there some other way to get 128/64 in this configuration.

Can someone create some step-by step instruction for PIC18F452 programming. Which software should i use and what parameter should i enter everywhere.

Greetz.

hi ultrasound,

I am not very experienced myself, but as I read a lot of forum postings and WIKI entries during the last weeks I might be able to help you a little:

128 buttons and 64 pots are possible with one core, there is also basic code for this configuration which I will use myself in the next weeks:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios/ain64_din128_dout128_v1_3.zip

if you unzipp this, you will find many files in the folder, DO NOT PANIC!

Open the "main.asm" with a text editor, you find precise instructions which software you need and how you can compile you own new "Main.asm", tailored to your needs. the whole idea here is that the application is MODULAR, and various parts oft the code reside in the .h and .inc files.

You should buy a preprogrammed PIC from SMASH (US) or MIKE (Germany), as this gives you the basic MIOS application already as a start on board, and you only have to upload your own "main.asm" via MIDI Sysex with MIDIOX. this is quite simple, like sending sound patches to a Synthesizer.

Most of the .h and .inc files are not relevant to you (and to me) at the moment, they are just needed to define the registers, functions and memory spaces. Focus on the "mios_tables.inc", here you will find the MIDI codes which are sent by the buttons and pots.

HEY, this will be easy, no need to make a new "main.asm" for the first eyperiments: when I look at the entries now, it seems to me they are by accident configured excately the way you need it. buttons send controllers 0-127 on MIDI channel 1 (hex B0 xx), and potis send controllers on MIDI channel 2 (hex B1 xx).

So take a deep breath and dive into it: Just order the preprogrammed PIC (with MIOS on board already), solder your core together, take the ready-made "main.syx" and send it to the Core via MIDIOX, connect your buttons and pots, and make some good music!

hope this helps,

karl.