Sharing Vss between encoders on different shift registers or DINx4 ?

ptitjes

Hi!

I think this is surely a stupid question... but anyway the following wiring diagram gives me a doubt :

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_16enc.pdf

On this diagrams, Vss lines are not shared between encoders as they are shared between pushbuttons on

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_32buttons.pdf

Can i share one of the Vss lines between all the 16 encoders ?

Can i share one of the Vss lines between all the encoders and buttons of my DINx4 boards ?

And more generally, can i share the Vss line of the core J2 between all the encoders, buttons and also leds of my 4 DINx4 and DOUTx4 ?

Thanks for the help. Didier.

And more generally, can i share the Vss line of the core J2 between all the encoders, buttons and also leds of my 4 DINx4 and DOUTx4 ?

Sure, Ive do that on all my Midibox Projects, it works without any problem.

But wire it "starlike" ;)

Regards

MTE

But wire it "starlike" ;)

Don't say that! He might wire a ground line from the PSU to each encoder, switch and LED!!!  ;)

Essentially it doesn't matter, you can connect a button/encoder/LED pin to ground anywhere that's convenient... i.e. you can run a single ground wire through all your  components and join it to any ground, or a more "starlike" arrangement with multiple wires connecting a group of components. My point was to share with you that there's nothing special about the ground for LEDs or encoders or buttons.... it's only when you're trying hard to separate analog and digital grounds (or audio and digital grounds) that it matters.

Don't say that! He might wire a ground line from the PSU to each encoder, switch and LED!!!  ;)

Okay let's say "fractal-like"... :)

Essentially it doesn't matter, you can connect a button/encoder/LED pin to ground anywhere that's convenient... i.e. you can run a single ground wire through all your  components and join it to any ground, or a more "starlike" arrangement with multiple wires connecting a group of components. My point was to share with you that there's nothing special about the ground for LEDs or encoders or buttons.... it's only when you're trying hard to separate analog and digital grounds (or audio and digital grounds) that it matters.

I note that for later! Thank you.