Little Help with MIDI expression pedal

snorkman

Hello again everybody, i am almost finishing my first MB64, and by the time I finish this controller i would also like to be able to work with a MIDI pedal but i have a few doubts.

If buy any ROLAND, OR BEHRINGER MIDI pedals system with foot switches and an expression pedal...................

Can I map the expression pedal to a send channel in Ableton LIVE? And just use the other foot switches to launch clips.

Is the expression pedal only used for volume controls??

Wich pedal would you advise me to get, that works the way I need?

Greetings from Argentina.

;D

You could always MAKE one...

I doubt you'll get brand-oriented advice as to what to get. I just don't think this is that type of forum. I may be wrong.

Of course, if your MB64 is less than completely packed with buttons and pots, you could quite easily implement a floor-board type controller as a remote, attached to your MB64. If you are able to use an optically encoded expression pedal, you could attach your floor board using only a 6-pin interface (+5v, GND, SerOut, SerIn, SClk, Enable)

Can I map the expression pedal to a send channel in Ableton LIVE?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean with that sentence, but you can see which parts of the GUI can be remote-controlled in Live if you enable the "MIDI" mapping button on the top right of the Live-Window.

Generally spoken, if you're working with a PC and especially with Ableton Live, you can assign nearly any action to nearly any Controller Number on all Channels, therefore it should be no problem to do whatever you like when Live receives CC#7 (VolumeChange or any other Midi-Message) on Ch xy (1..16).

And – if this is not suffient –, there are programs available to filter your midi-messages and enable you to convert one message to another. I recommend MIDI-Pipe for the Mac, but there should be similar program for PCs or Linux.

Regards,

Michael

What I wanted to say is that if I repace the expression pedal pot for a 10k and connect it to my MB64, can I map the expression pedal to a send control in Ableton?

I am sorry if my english is a bit complicated to understand.

I want to build my own foot controller like Roland or Behringer. ;)

ahh... ok :)

if I repace the expression pedal pot for a 10k and connect it to my MB64

yes, this should work fine.

maybe it would also work if your pedal has a higher resistance (eg 50k), but that could have an impact on the other pots. You should be careful however if it has a lower resistance than 10k.

Best regards,

Michael

This would work. Absolutely.

If you decide to do a floor board in addition to the controller pedal, you could still connect the whole bit using 6 pins, + 1 pin for each analog pedal. This way you could add foot switches, as well as the control pedals. These can be mapped to anything using MB64, then used by ableton to control anything.

Possibilties??