Encoder possibilities

Ian_Hurlock

Hi TK

I have been searching for encoders for use in mios.

A question

What is/are the allowable PPR for these things.

Can you spec me right up on these things

Thanks

ALSO ENCODER SUGGESTION

I am looking at purchasing a quantity of encoders from China.

I am trying to get a decent price at volume.

It may be feasible to place a large order and reship from here while maintaining a good price. I don't mind attending to this. ;D

Perhaps a large number could be despatched to a central point in Europe  or whatever for distribution.

( If some one would like to put their hand up ) ;)

This is just a gauge to see what sort of volumes are needed for a competetive price.

I have contacted a couple of companies already with regard to this and await their reply.

If any have interest/suggestions of any sort they can post here or at my mail address.

( I know, Steve, you and LO are prob keen ) ;)

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure about the max. PPR rate, it's hard to create an equation that estimates this value, as it depends on different parameters: rotation speed, axis size, pulse width... the only spec that I can give you is that MIOS is able to sample for transitions every microsecond (-> specified with MIOS_SRIO_UpdateFrqSet).

However, from my experience rotary encoders which are specified with up to 36 PPR are working w/o problems. I haven't tested "faster" encoders yet. (Note the the resolution will be doubled by the driver to 72 PPR)

to the encoder order: at least the prices would be interesting. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK

Seems that 14 and 24 ppr are not uncommon. There are more opportunities for this product.

I will see what my enquiries bring. I can see that, as far as mios is concerned, encoders are the way to go.

They are prohibitive at present but we may be able to change that.

Ian