Where is the Mackie HUI protocol spec?

naxos

Hi,

Does anyone know where to find the Mackie HUI protocol

spec?  It seems that lot's of people are building boxes to

speak HUI, but I can't find the spec anywhere!

Also, what is the maximum number of HUI's that can be

connected to protools at any one time?

Thanks!

No need to reverse-engineer, this guy already did:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Erobbowers11/MCMap.htm

This used to be on the Mackie site, apparently in a manual... Anyway, this version is pretty close. There are a few small errors where the guy has cut/paste some text and not edited properly. I have a repaired version of this, which also contains the functions assigned to all of the buttons by various applications (a button sends a generic message, the software interprets what the message means and turns the LED on). My version will also include the various buttons which the standard LC app does not support, and will appear on the wiki as soon as I can standardise the formatting.

Now this is something I would be very interested in!

The site mentioned only has the communication in one direction (from HUI to computer), any chance of getting the communications in the other direction as well? (what is the computer saying to the machine to drive the leds and the LCD)

I'd be more then interested in working on the software for this, I was going to build a first midibox based on the Motormix, but this is much more interesting (it has a master fader).

Ok. Now (thanks to stryd_one) the button assignments are up on the midibox wiki site.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mc_protocol_mappings

The spec as shown previously only shows one set of commands: Digital Performer. This wiki page shows the commands for every piece of software supported by mackie.

Note: I have not replicated the assignments for faders or fader touch sensors, as these are less likely to be of use to a midiboxer. (ie, these functions don't change depending on the program used)

As can be seen, the interface used is somewhat dependant on the hardware and the software. ie. the interface doesn't say "channel 1 solo", the interface says "G#-1"...