pyromusical... possible to daisy chain 12 or more cores?; at what distance?

dizzu

I am working on something slightly different from what a midibox is supposed to do.

I am building a firing system that will be able to trigger several outputs at different times all operated from a PC over a long distance.

This will trigger a max of 1000+ outputs in 12 different locations. (12 cores daisy chained, max 128 o/p each core)

I would like to know what is the max distance possible between one core and another, or if it can be converted to rs485.

I am also looking for a software that will be able to program firing cues and output midi notes at programmed times to trigger outputs.

A long time ago I met something similar on the net, with the only difference that it was a musical fountain.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

according to the MIDI spec, the maximum cable length is 50 feet (see  http://www.midi.org/about-midi/electrical.shtml)

If this is not long enough, it makes sense to get use of the RS422 approach (bipolar Rx/Tx line). There are converter chips available, e.g. from Maxim: MAX489E, which should work, but I never tried this chip by myself...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

So, that's great. I assume that the modules needs to be preprogrammed and cannot be done from lcd, right?

Also is there a way that I can monitor the outputs if shorted to ground from the pc?

Which software is ideal to address and output?

thankx

Yes, you have to assign different MIDI channels to the MIDI outputs. This can be done with the mk_midio128_syx script

Monitoring would only be possible if you would use DINs which are directly connected to the DOUTs. In addition, a special software would be required which is able to request the DIN values, and to compare them with the DOUT values.

I don't know which software is ideal for your plans, but I guess that any MIDI sequencer could be used.

Best Regards, Thorsten.