Nice 3.3V LCD Modules ...not sure how to connect

audiocommander

Hi MidiBox mates,

I found some nice looking new LCDs at Reichelt/Germany for about 12 EUR + optional Background LEDs:

http://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=60633;LINKID=1024

(datasheet available from there)

The LCDs have a ST7036 Controller, which is instruction compatible to HD44780 and should therefor be compatible to MBHP/MIOS: http://www.lcd-module.de/eng/pdf/zubehoer/st7036.pdf

What I like about the modules, is the variety of available colors for a reasonable price and they are quite compact. What's also very nice, is that you can simply plug them onto a PCB (with or without background LED-module) and solder very easily. They can be operated with 5Vs and (some additonal Caps required) also with 3.3 Volts!

As these modules provide 4-bit and 8-bit modes as well as and SPI-Interface, I'm a bit lost with the connections and what I should do with the Background-Illumination... anyone knows how to connect these? And do I need to connect "V0"? I thought I better try asking before killing my first module :)

Any comments welcome!

I attached a drawing I made, to make the connections clearer:

EA-DOGM_3V_LCD_Connection_thumb.png

1286_EA-DOGM_3V_LCD_Connection_png023181

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your answer, Roger, although I'm not really sure to what "page 12" you're referring, 'cause the datasheet has only 8 pages  :-[

However, I just connected everything as in the schematic above -

and the remaining connections like descibed on page 4 (5 V, 8bit): I connected B+ and B- to the +5V, GND signs in the schematic, but unfortunatly nothing happens, it just stays dark ;(

anybody here had luck with these?

Thanks,

Michael

As these modules provide 4-bit and 8-bit modes as well as and SPI-Interface' date=' I'm a bit lost with the connections and what I should do with the Background-Illumination... anyone knows how to connect these? And do I need to connect "V0"?

thanks for your answer, Roger, although I'm not really sure to what "page 12" you're referring, 'cause the datasheet has only 8 pages  :-[

Sorry, I didn't specify: In the Controller Datasheet. - Finally you're powering the controller and not the display dots themself. So I think this counts for whatever display is driven by the controller.

Greets, Roger

• 3 weeks later...

uhm... okay, I gave up.

Either I destroyed something while soldering or I'm simply too dumb...

Or maybe the LCD module is just not compatible; I couldn't get the background illuminated nor could I see any LCD-dot ;(

in any way, I feel it's not really worth for me spending another few weeks trying around on this LCD module. Better to take the normal ones I'm used to...

Thanks Roger for your help!

Regards,

Michael