max speed for dout

haesslich

Now I am logged in wth my account.  ;D

I am working on a project were i want to controll 512 LEDs. I want to controll allways 64 LEDs by 2 DOUTs (seriell) and load them parallel. (2DOUTs X 8) So I was thinking what the max speep will be to laod them.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I have to ask for some more details to get a clear picture. Are you planning to use MIOS routines to preload the DOUTs this way, or should be it an own (assembly based) routine?

In both cases I think that this is the wrong way. The best way to control 512 LEDs is time multiplexing.

So far I remember, I've a C based test routine for my 64 Duo-Colour-LED/button matrix somewhere on my harddisk, which can be easily extented for much more than 128 LED output functions. So, if this would help, I can publish it as a programming example.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

If short execution time does matter (I think you mean: saving CPU performance for other tasks), time multiplexing is the way to go.

"Very often": here it really depends which timing requirements you mean with "often" --- one microsecond, one millisecond, 10 milliseconds?

The idea is: you won't notice a big difference when the LEDs are updated within 1 microsecond or 10 milliseconds, because they cannot switch so fast. So, why not using the same output pins for driving mutliple rows of LEDs - one row after another - so fast that your eyes won't regognize the difference.

Here a link which gives a nice explanation: http://www.fpga4fun.com/Opto4.html, but I'm sure that there are also other ones, especially with AVR programming examples.

For 512 LEDs you would use a 8x64 pin matrix (8 common lines it makes sense to add a big driver transistor here, as each common line has to sink the current of 64 LEDs at once!)

Such a matrix would require 9 * 74HC595 - and this number of registers can be updated very fast. With the PIC propably within ca. 100 uS.

You could update the LED rows from a timer interrupt which is called each millisecond. On each invokation of you time you would have set a new pattern for 64 LEDs, and select a new common line. With the effect, that all 512 LEDs are updated within 8 mS, but the CPU is only loaded by 10%.

This is the way, how most of the LED multiplexing routines of MIDIboxes are working (e.g. MB64E, which can control up to 1024 LEDs this way)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I can only strongly suggest to spend some more effort into the planning phase, and especially to do some programming evaluations before building up the complete LED matrix in order to find out the best performance solution which meets your requirements (which are still a little bit unclear to me... however :))

Just for the records - this is how a 8x64 = 512 LED matrix could be controlled from the MIOS SDCC wrapper:

// LED pattern array - prepared for 512 LEDs (=64 bytes)
unsigned char led_patterns[64];

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// This function is called by MIOS before the shift register are loaded
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
void SR_Service_Prepare(void) __wparam
{
  static unsigned char row_ctr;
  unsigned char i;

// increment counter on each cycle, wrap at 8
  row_ctr = (row_ctr + 1) & 0x07;

// select LED row, the appr. DOUT is the 9th shift register in the chain
  MIOS_DOUT_SRSet(8, 1 << row_ctr);

// init pattern of DOUT 1..8 (= 64 outputs)
  // offset depends on row_ctr
  for(i=0; i<8; ++i)
    MIOS_DOUT_SRSet(i, led_patterns[row_ctr * 8 + i]);
}
[/code]

So, there is no need for a special timer, as the update cycle of the SR upload is already interrupt driven by a timer resource.

Just to highlight it again (for the case that you change your decition): such a LED matrix, where one shift register controls the common line of so many LEDs (64 per row) definitely requires a transistor on the 9th DOUT (where the common lines are connected)

Best Regards, Thorsten.