Problem with vfd display in 4bit mode

QBAS

Hi

I hope it is right place for this topic :)

I just programmed pic18f4685 (thanks Wilba http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8328.msg58220#msg58220).

I have done all changes - 4bit connection for LCD, CAN bus with diodes-

uploaded new midibox_sid_v1_74685 code - but since I go to 4bit, my VFD http://www.bipom.com/documents/peripherals/vfd202.pdf

not working OK. It go to "pause" after second. Sometimes it show nothing, sometimes only small part of screen.

In 8bit everything was Ok, but I don`t know why in 4bit there are problem - since on datasheet is also 4bit mode.

Someone has the same problem?

I would like to say that on another LCD 2x40 everything work OK in this mode, but I prepare CS just for this smaller VFD!

Maybe it is the same problem like has Wilba on his PLED in 4bit mode?

Can someone help me? Any suggestion?

more than likely the problem is 4-bit mode... my tests show that after each command it sends, it gets back a status byte, and sometimes the two 4-bit nibbles are in the wrong order, so depending on the cursor address, MIOS thinks it stays busy until a timeout is reached.

I've written a custom LCD driver that uses 8-bit mode by using two pins on port E to replace the two pins being used by the CAN... you'll need to add wires and ensure D0 and D1 are still connected to port B pins, and D2 and D3 connect to port E1 and E2.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=pic18f4685_8bit_lcd_driver

This solves the problem with my 4x20 PLED and have not had a problem since.

Fast and precision, in point.

Thank you Wilba. You known that I asked you for this driver, but not directly.

When I see (one minute after I post my problem) that you read this, I get relax.

OK- now I will check, I hope no more "questions" will be - only "thanks"....

.... after 3 hours tryings, of course with removed gound on D0-D3, and done all needed connections. Unfortunatelly the effect is the same.

I will try to change driver, if you give me a link for datasheet of your pled Wilba then I will compare differences - maybe it "give me some inspiration" - like said T.K oneday.

My vfd sometimes work for 3 seconds intensive with changing patches fast for egz., sometimes initialize failure.... I feel that it is possible to get it work, but I can`t find where is problem.

Also all time regular LCD work good.

WOOOOHAAAA!!! ;D ;D ;D :D

It work!!!

Since it was my first time (and very interesting) with custom LCD driver,

I forgot to add in USER_Init changing of #7 LCD  -  user driver.

Now - witchout any changes of orginal Wilba`s driver - everything is showing good.

I`m happy. Thank you!!!

Time to check what is a time response of other SID`s by CAN. 8)