filter mode button "30"

Davo

I'm looking at Wilba's design and I noticed in his changes to the Step C panel that it's missing the "03" LED in the filter section.  Since I haven't yet finished my MBSID v1, I was wondering what this LED indicates and what is made more difficult with it missing.  Furthermore, why would this LED having its own button be desirable?

From the MIDIbox SID V2 User Manual

3Of (3rd oscillator off): a special SID function which disconnects the oscillator 3 output from the mixer. This allows to use OSC3 for sync/ringmodulation without any undesirable output.

I removed the "3O" LED from the panel, primarily because it doesn't really belong in the Filter section anyway, it just happens to be a flag in the SID register next to the other filter settings. It's not used very often and would usually be turned on only when first creating a patch using sync/ringmodulation. Also it didn't fit on the panel layout nicely. I haven't missed the LED at all, and there'd be nothing really gained from adding a button. Only a very few patches use it and when I am seeing how a patch with sync/ringmoduation works, I just go to the Filter menu.

In contrast, I added the "Ext In" button to the Filter section (the LED is present on TK's "step C" panel), thinking this is a much more useful feature to put in the Filter section, since I use feedback pots to get a resonance boost out of the filter and thus frequently toggle "Ext In" (i.e. route external audio input through filter, instead of just through mixer). Plus there was space for it and it fit in nicely with the O1,O2,O3 LEDs  ;D

Since I answered you the first time, you probably expect an answer from me again or you'll think I'm rude.  ;D

Put the button anywhere you like. I've already said it's not needed. I don't understand why you really want one, considering you didn't know what it would do until yesterday.

Since I answered you the first time, you probably expect an answer from me again or you'll think I'm rude.  ;D

Put the button anywhere you like. I've already said it's not needed. I don't understand why you really want one, considering you didn't know what it would do until yesterday.

I have a great affinity for fiddling with a synth's controls while playing it.  Having a 3O toggle close at hand appeals to this. 8)