Using 1 midi plug for 8 midibox SID's

RoelDM

Hello all,

My first post here. I have a small question.

When i saw this: http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/paul1.jpg on the midibox site it made me think of my yamaha TX-816: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/tx816.jpg

I would like to build 8 instances of the Midibox SID (base system, no front panel or nothing) in a 19" rack each with it's own audio output, just like the TX-816 has 8 FM modules. My problem is the following: MIDI. The TX-816 has 1 midi-in and 1 midi out for all modules, and you can select the channel on the module itself. I think I can "hardcode" a channel number in my Midibox SID "module" But how can I share 1 midi IN en OUT?

i'm a noob in DIY maybe there is a simple answer on my question :)

Greetz,

Roel 

The CAN bus of MidiBox SID V2 can organize the connections between the master core and the slaves. Keep in mind that it is only possible to use 4 "modules", and each "module holds 2 SIDs. If you want to make the modules "swappable" you have to arrange a male/female connector who interconnect when you slide the modules in.

To sum things up:

Is it possible? - yes

Is it achievable? - I deem it very hard for someone with no DIY experience.

A better option would be to order Wilba's base PCB for 8 SIDs, and then make your own control surface with the minimal controls you would want to use. It will probably end up not looking like that Yamaha module at all in that way, but will be more useable on the other hand.

Cheers,  Alex.